Make Backups Look Sexy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rph105, Nov 14, 2007.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

Apart from all the bugs i've been suffering, I have to give it to leopard for the cover flow feature, i've been backing up some of my bluray movies, and assigning each backup with an customised icon of the box art, it actually looks like a movie library now and i'm really happy

Attached Files:

2. vandlism macrumors 6502

can i ask how you were able to assign these images to the icon? i've done the standard copy paste of a jpg to the icon in the "get info" box, but am left with just very bad and low resolution icons.

3. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

1) ok firstly i got the image off the inet, you can get some really nice cover art for bluray movies off here http://era-hd.ru/blu-ray/2/,

2) opened image up photoshop and cut the corners if the corners are rounded on the box, if there not then you can leave it, save it as a psd.

3) Download Xcode from the apple website http://developer.apple.com/tools/ gives u the developer tools, once downloaded and installed, open up 'Icon Composer' Mac HD>Developer>Applications>Utilities. Drag Your Photoshop File that you just created into the big box and 'Copy to all smaller sizes', then what you want to do is export it and save it somewhere, should have a .icns extension.

4) Lastly Download Icns2Rsrc here http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11781
    and open up the .icns file you just created and then it asks you to save the rsrc file, save that.

5) now you've got the rsrc file, right click it and get info [​IMG]. click on the thumbnail in the top left corner of the 'get info' box and it should highlight, press ctrl+c to copy. Go to your movie file, click 'get info' click on the thumbnail in the top left corner and paste ctrl+v

Thats It

Sorry if it sounds long, once you do it you'll see how quick it is, this is the first time i've ever written a tutorial so sorry if its hard to understand

4. KassaNovaKaine macrumors newbie

Couple of quick questions:

1) I see that the Icns2Rsrc application is quite a few years old, and hasn't been updated in ages. Should that be a problem on Leopard, or are there similar (but more recent) apps like it that would work better?

2) These icon changes only change that one specific file, correct?

3) Do the saved images have to be in .psd format? I have a few already saved, but they're in jpeg

3) There any resolution limits to the icon changing? I have a lot of high-res movie posters that I'd like to use as the icons, and it would compliment the coverflow well, especially in the big sizes. Just wondering if I can do this freely, without it being constrained to a low quality.

5. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

1) yh its a old program, im using leopard, still works fine

2) the icon only changes the specific file, correct

3) no, it doesnt have to be psd, the saved images can be in jpeg format, psd was what i used because i wanted to use transparency

4) i'm not sure if there is a resolution limit but i think the bigger the image size the bigger it will be in cover flow, check out the attatchment blow, thts on my 20" screen [​IMG]

6. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

btw does anyone know if you can play .mkv files in apple tv?

7. roflpop macrumors newbie

Mannnn Thats reallly awesome, this is my first post, im gnna have to try this