iPad Make better use of 9.7" form factor!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeRito, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

I Dont want to lug around an unwieldy 12.9" iPad Pro. The 9.7 size is perfect! I recommend squeezing another 1" in diameter out of the EXISTING form factor, i.e. Through bezel reduction etc. even if it means adding a few grams to go back to the weight and thickness of the Air I. Who's with me?!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apparently, not Apple.

3. JoeRito thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

Apple's approach has always been to tell people what they want and need. Im not asking Apple, im asking this community. Any thoughtful perspectives of your own on this?

4. Billy95Tech Suspended

I say adding the Multi window/split sceen on the 9.7 inch Ipad to make use of the 9.7 inch sceen size and 2GB of RAM that would be way better!

And Bezels are small enough, we don't want the Ipad looking like a large phone just like the new Dell Venue 8!

5. businezguy macrumors 6502

I agree with this. My concern is Apple will add all sorts of multitasking features to the 12.9 iPad and do nothing with the 9.7 inch. That would be a wrong way to go about getting more sales.

6. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The 9.7" form might be perfect for you, but that doesn't mean it's perfect for me.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I feel that in order to make the device more portable and useable, the iPad actually needs to get even thinner and lighter. Envision yourself using it like a clipboard. It's always easier to use a clipboard that's lighter than one that's thicker and heavier.

8. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I need to see a 12.9" tablet before I know how I feel about it. With a bezel, it sounds somewhat unwieldy to me. If it's not a hybrid device, I don't know that I would have a use for it. I don't even use the iPad Air 2 for reading e-books because the backlit area is too large for me to read comfortably (I use a Nexus 7 for e-books, since my Kobo Aura bit the dust).

I actually can't see Apple bringing out a 12.9" tablet, and I'm not certain that the market for one would be all that large. Then again, the Apple Watch is also somewhat of a niché product.

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I believe a larger device in our hand that you touch will always feel more immersive when it gets larger. You become one with the content that much more. I truly feel more connected and taken aback with a large touchscreen.

Nevertheless, it will be a balance for comfort and portability.

I do not yet know which tasks will be better on a larger iPad and which would be better on the current 9.7.

I think I will really like the Pro size as I rarely leave my home with iPad, I use it at home. Still, what will be better on the Pro? Not sure, but perhaps I would reach for the iPad even more for browsing and whatnot instead of my desktop computer which is actually my favorite go to device.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

IMO, the current size is a perfect blend of portability and screen real estate. It feels great in hand and is quite easy to tote around all day. The ipad pro will certainly have its user base but the current ipad is sized just right as Goldilocks would say. :)

11. addictzz macrumors 6502

Squeezing another inch without actually increasing the overall size of the tablet could be one way to go.

But I actually prefer to shave an inch off to around 8.9". It is more comfortable to hold with one hand with that size.

Plus multi-tasking is a greatly welcome addition to 9.7" tablet.

12. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

New MacBook seems to be the better size for the 12'. With that machine in mind, I don't see the point of an iPad 'Pro'.

13. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

No touchscreen. Ultrabooks really aren't a new thing, and I feel they are an entirely different market segment than tablets. There's probably some overlap, but I doubt it's a substantial one,