Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Hi, my son is needing this for our mac for a school project. We need a very very simple application that will allow him to do the very basics. Pic from iphoto, some text over it.
Any suggestions appreciated. Free is better :)
thanks, have a great day.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
With Preview, it's simple to add text to any photo. If you want a CD label with album art and track listing, you can print those with iTunes.
ScreenCap 3.PNG

Boca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Thanks, guess I wasn't clear. He wants to make artwork to stick on the CD disc.
I bought sticky paper with the cut outs for the disc but can't figure out how to get a photo from iphoto with some text over the photo then print it on the sticky avery paper.

thank you for any advice on this.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, guess I wasn't clear. He wants to make artwork to stick on the CD disc.
I bought sticky paper with the cut outs for the disc but can't figure out how to get a photo from iphoto with some text over the photo then print it on the sticky avery paper.

thank you for any advice on this.
I don't use iPhoto, but as I said, Preview can do this easily. You can export the pic from iPhoto and open it in Preview. It's a very simple process. I'm sure iPhoto can do the same, but Preview is much simpler.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
try in word or pages- also look for the avery plugin for both of those which allows you to specify the paper and then will align everything properly for you- just paste the picture into the document and then lay a textbox over top the image and print!

Edit: you know you've been studying too much for uni finals when you type 'textbook' instead of 'textbox'

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
For the record, stick on labels for CDs/DVDs are a bad idea. If you get them even slightly off center the CD can become unusable, and at worst can damage your optical drive. Over time they come unstuck and put the disc off-balance as well.

Since yours is for a school project, long term viability is probably not much of an issue, but there it is.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
For the record, stick on labels for CDs/DVDs are a bad idea. If you get them even slightly off center the CD can become unusable, and at worst can damage your optical drive. Over time they come unstuck and put the disc off-balance as well.

Since yours is for a school project, long term viability is probably not much of an issue, but there it is.

I have never had a problem with this and have labeled many dozens of disks. The "stompers" place the labels centered and with a little care they are nearly indistinguishable from commercial disks.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I have never had a problem with this and have labeled many dozens of disks. The "stompers" place the labels centered and with a little care they are nearly indistinguishable from commercial disks.

Indistinguishable except for the big sticker on it that can bubble and peel over time. Once that happens, good luck trying to get every darn bit of that label off so the disc will work again. I used to like CD labeling systems as well, but two or three unreadable discs changed my mind.

CDs and DVDs spin at up to 24000 RPM. The slightest bit of uneven weight can cause wobble that can cause the disc to be unreadable, or even shatter it in the drive. It's happened, look it up. Personally, I'd rather not risk it.

Optical media was not designed to have big stickers put on it. Lightscribe or printable discs are the best options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.