Make Dimmness Dimmer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by halfstepdown88, Oct 28, 2010.

1. halfstepdown88 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I have a macbook, and couldn't seem to find this anywhere on the internet, probably because no one else wants to do this :)

Anyways, is there any way possible to make it so that I can make my screen dimmer than the minimum dimmness?

I like to use my computer before I go to bed every so often, but I find even on the dimmest setting the light is too bright and keeps me up, I need the darkness to put my body in that state to go to sleep.

Would be a sweet mod to be able to do that. Also could read some books I have on pdf at night as well.

Thanks

2. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

I would like to know if you can make the screen dimmer than normal too since I'm photophobic and bright lights hurt my eyes.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, this is not possible.

In theory, however, you could either put a film on the screen or design a "shade" out of some tinted film to block the light more. Or wear sunglasses.

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

You can buy lighting gels from photographer supply stores, which you could easily attach over your screen.

These 'gels' are thin plastic filters that photographers put over lights. Most are coloured, but 'ND' filters are just neutral. ND2 halves brightness, ND4 = 1/4, ND8 = 1/8th.

An example.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I see this possibly causing some eye strain in the long term ... may not be good

6. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

thanks for the information :)

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's an interesting prefpane. It doesn't actually make the brightness dimmer, but darkens the screen by overlaying differing shades of grey. It's a novel idea, but it makes things really hard to see on my MacBook, which has a screen with a very narrow viewing angle and thus blacks interfere.