Make Fios router my DEFAULT router on MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dbernstein22, Mar 22, 2009.

1. dbernstein22 macrumors newbie

I just recently got Verizon Fios internet. I am having a problem with making the router they supplied my default router.

I am not trying to piggy back or connect additional routers. I just want to use the Fios router.

Prior to Fios, I had Time Warner and i used my own router and as soon as I opened up my macbook, it would immediately find that router as my default. Now, with Fios, when i open my "Airport" icon at the top on my screen, it NEVER choses my Fios router as my default, making me change to it every time i want to use my internet after opening up my computer.

So basically, I just want it to chose my Fios router automatically, when i open my computer.

Thank you for the help!

2. belvdr macrumors 601

Is the FIOS router providing DHCP services? If not, then what is?

The DHCP server needs to provide the default route to your clients. In case your DHCP server only accepts options, the default router is option 3.

3. dbernstein22 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no clue. how would i go about looking into that?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Take a look at the screens below:
    a) do you have the item for "Ask to join known networks" marked?
    b) is your FIOS router network name first on the preferred networks list accessed by clicking Advanced with the AirPort connection highlighted in your Network system preferences? If not, you'll want to drag it up above whatever else is listed there or delete the preferred networks that you don't need the computer to auto-connect to any longer.

Attached Files:

5. belvdr macrumors 601

Open your Network Prefs. It should show the DHCP server for your connection. Is the DHCP server IP the same as your FIOS router IP?

EDIT: Now that I read this differently, the above post may be more what you're after. So you're saying your Mac connects to some other network first instead of your new FIOS router?