Make firefox "maximize" to fit sites?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NikFinn, Aug 12, 2009.

1. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I love firefox and it's extensions, but I like how on safari that when you're on a specific site, if you click on the green "+" it will maximize the size of safari to the website, but not like, unnecessarily big. Is there any way to do this in firefox?

Thanks,
    Nik

2. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

3. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Oops, for Safari too!

Setting Up Full Screen Browsing

When I’m on my laptop, screen real estate matters, so my brother tipped me to this little trick he uses on his Hackintosh Dell Mini 9 to force the menu bar and dock to slide off the screen and fully zoom the window.

* Right click on the Safari application and choose show contents to expose the Info.plist file.
    * Add an entry for the key “Application UI Presentation Mode” and set its value as “All Suppressed.”

This will force the dock and menu bar to slide off the screen whenever Safari is the selected application. Mousing up to the edges of the screen will slide them back on so you can still access menu items or the dock as needed.

Safaris info.plist being edited

Now create a bookmark to fully zoom the window to take advantage of all this newly available space on the screen.

* Add a new bookmark called TrueZoom and in the address field put this handy little javascript: javascript:self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);.
    * Then create another called UnZoom and use this bit of javascript in the address: javascript:self.resizeTo(900,600);window.moveTo(200,200).

If these two are the first two bookmarks then you can use ⌘1 and ⌘2 respectively to go big and return to normal.

*Not my work, cited from the apple blog*
    http://theappleblog.com/2009/08/06/how-to-full-screen-browsing-and-forced-tabs-with-safari/

4. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I don't want full screen browsing. I have my dock set to hide, but that's beside the point. I want to be able to hit the green "+" in firefox and have the window be set so that there is no blank space on the sides of the browser.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its not currently possible on firefox. Sites do not always embed a size definition in the code, and I dont think it really work that well.

there are extensions to resize firefox to a bunch of pre-set sizes, if that helps.

6. hamish5178 macrumors member

This is annoying. Many sites like facebook could be about 1/3 larger on my 13" MBP.

For now I just zoom in with the trackpad.

7. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

There's a drag to expand thing in the lower right corner of your screen.