Make IE7 force refesh in virtual box?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by andyjamesnelson, Feb 6, 2009.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Hey.

I recently started using virtual box and the disk images provided by Microsoft for a testing environment.

The main issue I am having is that I cannot get IE7 to force refresh and actually pick up any of the CSS changes I make. Firefox has no issue running in the same environment.

Without this totally essential aspect, testing ain't working at all. :(

I'm also really interested in peoples opinions on the best ways to test in IE etc on windows from a mac.

The virtual box seems to run really well and hardly seems to slow my Imac done at all. Plus the disk images from Microsoft are free.

I can get hold of a windows xp / vista disk sure but do Parallels or vmware offer any benefits?

Let me know if you can help.

Andy

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

IE does generally cache stuff even when newer modified files exist. One thing to try, which I can't guarantee works is to use a meta tag to tell the browser not to cache. I'd only use that while you're testing though, because caching will save you on bandwidth, so is a good thing.

Testing IE: I have a dedicated XP machine from back before I converted some years ago. Also, depending on what type of stuff I'm testing, I find using IE6 on Mac through CrossOver is good enough most of the time. Depends on the techniques you're using on the site, whether that's good enough. Flash sites wouldn't be able to use it for instance. Overall though I've stopped caring too much about how IE displays my personal site. I already provide a message on my site to IE users to encourage them to upgrade to a real browser.

I've used Virtual Box before, but it was for Ubuntu. You mentioned a MS provided testing environment. Do happen to have a link handy for that? I might check it out. I like Virtual Box too.

3. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

4. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

I cannot use the meta tag tip because it interferes with the web-app I'm working on.

I really just need a way of force refresh with something like shift+control+f5 but it don't seem to work.

Is ctrl the same on windows?

5. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey I just installed Crossover and a version of IE6 and I'm having the same problem. I cannot get to reload the CSS changes I make?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt