Make iMac into a media server?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SayCheese, Jun 22, 2011.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2007
    Thame, Oxfordshire, England
    Hi all,
    I am after some advice. I have an iMac Core 2 duo running leopard (never upgraded to snow leopard) and a MBP. The MBP (on it’s way out as it’s failing) is going to be replaced soon with another MBP and I’m going to keep the iMac. Additionally my girlfriend is going to buy a MBP at the same time as me (her first mac).

What I’d like to do is use the iMac as some sort of a media server. Basically have all my iTunes music on it and have it so that either myself or my girlfriend can access it and download music from it to our MBP’s or my iPhone/her iTouch. Also I have an original Apple TV which I’d like to use to stream music from the iMac.

What I’d like to know is what’s the best way to go about this? What software do I need if any and do I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard and then buy a server license? It’s just that at the moment the iMac is sitting in the corner of the study doing not a lot and I think I can probably make better use of it.

Suggestions please.

2. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2009
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Look into Plex and Plex server. Great program. You will be able to access your files anywhere with that.
  3. dgbowers macrumors member

Apr 5, 2011
    If you're just wanting to do it inside of your home, then you can just enable iTunes Home Sharing. Just go to the iTunes dropdown in the menu bar, click Preferences and then go to the sharing tab.

See the attached screenshots.

Attached Files: