Make iMessage not show everyone involved in group chat

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Davidleec, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Davidleec macrumors newbie

I don't know when this became a thing, but I was wondering how to turn off the "to you, him, her" before messages in notifications. It's very annoying and unnecessary.

Please see my attachment for the example. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

If I recall correctly this was added in 8.3 to make it easier to distinguish between personal messages and group messages that are sent to particular people. Don't believe there are any controls related to it that can be changed.

3. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Just a further point to make on top of this, the importance of listing who it's sent to comes out when using the quick reply feature.

4. Davidleec thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks guys. I miss not seeing it, haha it makes reading confusing sometimes. Maybe if enough people complain apple will at least give us the option. Haha

5. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I agree - it is a waste - didn't need it and still don't. Provide me an option at least.

6. mcfly88 macrumors 6502

Yea, I really dislike this as well. Looks too cluttered.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Isn't there usefulness in quickly seeing if a message was sent to you personally vs. a group (and to know who you are replying to when you are using quick reply)?

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Agree, i quite like knowing whether its a message just to me or sent to loads of folk. I've been caught a couple of times replying to a message from the quick reply that i thought was just to me only to then get other replies or open it in the messages app and see its sent to me and few others. Dont really see the issue with it to be honest, not exactly ugly looking.

9. Davidleec thread starter macrumors newbie

In my opinion, it makes the little notification box too cluttered, especially when you see who all is involved. It might be useful to somebody, and I can appreciate that, but it should still be an option you can turn on and off.

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

OP I can't believe you stayed up to create this thread instead of going to bed like your Mom told you to.

11. Davidleec thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha I know right! I am a 26 year old man and my mom still harasses me about things... But what momma don't know can't hurt her #