Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregornz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
Is it possible to install the native ios phone app on a jailbroken 4G retina mini?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is it possible to install the native ios phone app on a jailbroken 4G retina mini?
I don't know about that, but even on a non-jailbroken iPad you can make and receive phone calls with apps such as TextMe (link opens in App Store). Be aware that the reception doesn't work as well as the iPhone, so you may get more calls broken up, harder to hear and be heard, etc. As long as you have a good connection, it works well.

gregornz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

Right now I use a galaxy tab 7.7, which is legitimately a phone and tablet.

I want to 'upgrade' to the mini, but I also want to keep my cellular phone number. I figure I could just jailbreak the ipad, install the ios phone app, insert my sim card, and good to go?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Right now I use a galaxy tab 7.7, which is legitimately a phone and tablet.

I want to 'upgrade' to the mini, but I also want to keep my cellular phone number. I figure I could just jailbreak the ipad, install the ios phone app, insert my sim card, and good to go?
That won't work. For one thing, the Galaxy uses a microSIM card and the iPad Mini uses a nanoSIM card, so it won't fit.

gregornz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
Yeah, but changing the sim card is no big problem.

I'm interested in whether it is possible or not to run that native phone app on an ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.