Make iPod touch into an iPhone :o

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pcomac, Oct 10, 2012.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

So this new service is in beta https://www.freedompop.com/. Theoretically, this would make itouch into an iPhone because u would get Internet everywhere :eek:

2. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

i doubt 500MB would get very far though, and if the battery life is anything like other mobile wifi devices on the market it'll have standby time of only a few hours.

Its defiantly possible to use an iPod Touch as a phone with VOIP apps (such as Google Voice) and a personal hotspot, but you've got to ask if its really worth the hassle.

3. gerbilbox macrumors regular

On my iPod touch 3rd gen, I leave it unplugged with the Wi-FI on overnight, and the battery indicator doesn't budge even though the battery is significantly reduced from its original capacity. I turned off most notifications but iCloud push is on, so it doesn't seem to use much power to keep Wi-Fi on "standby." The battery after actual use will be quite different :)

4. BurningWater macrumors newbie

Are you sure this is perfectly free? Did you read the terms of service to make sure there are no loopholes in the agreement?

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

You misunderstand, I'm not talking about the iPod. I'm taking about the freedompop. It's the same basic thing as the other personal hotspot devices out there. here in the UK all the big networks have them available and none of them have battery life of an iPod Touch, not even close. If you try leaving one of those things on overnight it will have ran flat by the time you wake up.

6. gerbilbox macrumors regular

Yup, I misread, sorry about that. Ignore my post.

7. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

8. dchao macrumors 6502a

The problem is Sprint's WiMax network is dead now. As the company is pumping money into the new LTE network. Avoid WiMax if you can.

9. cnev3 macrumors 6502

Well I signed up for freedompop. Its free, so it's definitely worth checking out. I never considered getting an iPhone. Not because I cant afford the phone, but because of the $100 a month plan to do it justice. I am on a family plan with 4 other people and it costs me a whole $10 a month. This baby will make the new iPod Touch that's coming next week really come to life.

----------

It's free. The way they make money are from their upgrades and overages. But if you get their basic plan, with no additional features, its 100% free.

10. dba415 macrumors 6502