iPod touch Make iPod touch into an iPhone :o

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
i doubt 500MB would get very far though, and if the battery life is anything like other mobile wifi devices on the market it'll have standby time of only a few hours.

Its defiantly possible to use an iPod Touch as a phone with VOIP apps (such as Google Voice) and a personal hotspot, but you've got to ask if its really worth the hassle.

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
i doubt 500MB would get very far though, and if the battery life is anything like other mobile wifi devices on the market it'll have standby time of only a few hours.
On my iPod touch 3rd gen, I leave it unplugged with the Wi-FI on overnight, and the battery indicator doesn't budge even though the battery is significantly reduced from its original capacity. I turned off most notifications but iCloud push is on, so it doesn't seem to use much power to keep Wi-Fi on "standby." The battery after actual use will be quite different :)

BurningWater

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Are you sure this is perfectly free? Did you read the terms of service to make sure there are no loopholes in the agreement?

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
On my iPod touch 3rd gen, I leave it unplugged with the Wi-FI on overnight, and the battery indicator doesn't budge even though the battery is significantly reduced from its original capacity. I turned off most notifications but iCloud push is on, so it doesn't seem to use much power to keep Wi-Fi on "standby." The battery after actual use will be quite different :)
You misunderstand, I'm not talking about the iPod. I'm taking about the freedompop. It's the same basic thing as the other personal hotspot devices out there. here in the UK all the big networks have them available and none of them have battery life of an iPod Touch, not even close. If you try leaving one of those things on overnight it will have ran flat by the time you wake up.

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
You misunderstand, I'm not talking about the iPod. I'm taking about the freedompop. It's the same basic thing as the other personal hotspot devices out there. here in the UK all the big networks have them available and none of them have battery life of an iPod Touch, not even close. If you try leaving one of those things on overnight it will have ran flat by the time you wake up.
Yup, I misread, sorry about that. Ignore my post.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Well I signed up for freedompop. Its free, so it's definitely worth checking out. I never considered getting an iPhone. Not because I cant afford the phone, but because of the $100 a month plan to do it justice. I am on a family plan with 4 other people and it costs me a whole $10 a month. This baby will make the new iPod Touch that's coming next week really come to life.

----------

Are you sure this is perfectly free? Did you read the terms of service to make sure there are no loopholes in the agreement?
It's free. The way they make money are from their upgrades and overages. But if you get their basic plan, with no additional features, its 100% free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.