Make iSight camera take a snapshot of the user when keywords are typed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nedanator, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Nedanator macrumors newbie

I work in an APR and we have a lot of trouble with people trying to look at adult content on our customer machines. Obviously we have blocked these types of sites, but we cannot keep tabs on all the proxies. We have also deleted Photo Booth off of the machines otherwise the machines are 3 people deep on weekends and we cant demo stuff to customers. does anyone know of any free apps that will take a snapshot of the user when they type in a keyword such as "Adult Games" or "Meatspin", save that file and the word they typed on the HD somewhere? Or, some way of making Automator do that? Don't forget that we do not have photo booth on the machines. And it would be nice if the App/automator didn't make the iSight camera light come on, and also notified us when a keyword has been entered.

Dan
    Apple Premium Reseller, UK

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Can you not just put signs up saying 'These machines are monitored. Any attempt to access illegal or illicit websites or data will result in an immediate ban from the store'.

Or something along those lines. :)

3. Nedanator thread starter macrumors newbie

A sign goes against the Merchandising rules.

But anyway, i think an App might be a bit more fun. A growl notification could pop up on the till machines saying "Keyword Alert! Mac Mini 1" and then we can go over and ban them in person.

4. Wezlou macrumors newbie

Well I haven't got that much objective-c/cocoa experience under my belt but I guess you could have something listening in the background for keywords and when a keyword is picked up then use a socket to send a message to another computer to notify you.

5. Nedanator thread starter macrumors newbie

My god thats exactly what I need. I installed Xcode on one of the Mac Pros at work the other day... Dear lord its confusing.

Listening, Sockets. Google will be asked, a new thread will be formed.

Thank you for the boost.

6. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

I was thinking about this on the weekend. An idea:

* History items are put as file into: ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/History

* Assign a folder action watching this directory for keywords on it (using Applescript; filename contains or something like that)

* Pop up a message on the screen, saying "You're a bad dude, stop looking for that kind of stuff!"

No iSight picture though, but might keep you from coding in XCode

/Rupert

7. Nedanator thread starter macrumors newbie

That alright, i decided against the iSight snapshot seeing as our store doesnt have a 'CCTV in use' sign, so we may get into difficulties when taking pictures of people.

The thread has continued over here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=470216

Its going quite well.

Any ideas on how I would make the Applescript though?