Make it forget wifi networks even if they're not near?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schtibbie, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Situation: my wife's iPhone 4 has been connected (voluntarily, by my wife - using the "ask to join" setting) to pretty much any open wifi hotspot she happened to be near, including random homes and businesses, etc. She told me she was doing that to cut down on 3G usage..

Anyway, I'd like to go in and knock those all out of those networks. I don't want her phone signing into "linksys" and other similar networks just because she did so once a few weeks ago.

However, I can't see a way to "forget" these networks without actually driving around town looking for the networks to forget. Help?

2. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Reset the network settings:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Then go back to Wifi and turn Ask to Join off.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

the easy way I know would be to go to:
    settings>general>reset>reset network settings (Press only this button if you press the incorrect one you may end up erasing your whole phone!)

This will erase all wifi networks & VPN settings and will reset all networks settings to factory default.... you will start w/ fresh wifi w/ no network and you just put the wifi password in your home/work like the first time and presto!

EDIT: DiamondGCoupe beat me to it!

4. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Why would I want to turn "ask to join" off, though? Thanks for the help on resetting network settings, but as for "ask to join", we don't WANT her phone just joining open wifi connections. She needs to be able to tell it "no", which she'll do from now on unless she's at a reasonably trusted place.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's annoying to have "Ask to Join" pop up everywhere you go and saying no to it all the time. If you're at a reasonably trusted place, all you need to do is go into WiFi and manually set a network.

6. Solange82200 macrumors regular

Yeah I think the OP is confused. Turning Ask to Join off does not mean that it connects automatically. It means that you have to go in and select the network yourself to join, instead of having a pop up everytime it detects a network asking you if you want to join.

7. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I (OP) was confused. :) I'll see if she likes that setting off. Sounds like less of a PITA.