MAKE IT GO AWAY! (Apple's dirty tricks)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by theman, Feb 11, 2008.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I just got an ipod touch (old stock, came without new apps). Anyway, I have no interest in any of the 5 apps, and do not want to spend $20 on them. Plus i think it's totally ridiculous that they even cost money (i mean, they are basically worthless little things that apple has already given to iphone users free of charge, and to new buyers... Anyways, whenever i connect my ipod and open iTunes this thing comes up telling me to buy the apps. I go to the bottom and press "No Thanks" but it just says "Connection timed out"

Then i click "Remind me later" and it says "an error occured". Finally, i click "Buy" and it works perfectly. It asks me to make an "iTunes store account" (which i don't want), so i put in fake credit card numbers and such, but it won't let me create because its invalid CC number... ok, so now i'm pissed. this happens every freaking time i connect my ipod.

it's like they're forcing me to buy the update!

now, after installing 10.5.2, the "connection error" doesn't happen. now it's worse. when i click "no thanks" or "remind me later" it takes me to a page that says "thanks for deciding to buy the apps" and all i can do is press "ok" and it takes me to the itunes store! I can't even get to my ipod page to change the syncing settings!!! what is going on here? is apple really this sleazy? this is something that M$ would do, or now that i think about it, even worse!

i just want that dumb screen with those pictures of those dumb people and the "January Software Upgrade" to go AWAY! I want to get the my ipod options so i can change some stuff! what the hell Apple, what the hell.

Oh yeah, is this happening to anyone else, or is apple just picking on ME?

/rant

EDIT: Scroll down to my post below for a solution!

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

3. petrasvilkas macrumors newbie

I can't get it to go away either - itunes 7.6, OSX 10.4.11

Was getting the connection error message, then on to ipod touch management screen for a couple of weeks.

Now NO THANKS leads to a software splashscreen ad and then to store. No way to get to the iPod management screen or to sync.

This has gone from no good to worse.
    ------------
    SEE #15 for workaround success.

4. Kolbe31 macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem with my iPod touch. Can't access my iPod playlists, it just keeps taking me back to the store. First my iPod was crashing and I had to restore it, and now this. Can't a guy just pay $500 for a music player and put some music on it?

This whole thing reminds me of that Seinfeld where George tried to break up with his girlfriend and she just said no.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

This is very odd. It must be some sort or *sounding very untechnical* glitch. I mean I can't imagine Apple REALLY doing this... :O

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

last night i did something that made it go away, but now i can't remember what it was!!! i should have posted it, sorry guys. damn it.

OK I REMEMBER IT NOW!!!

THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:

SOLUTION:

When you connect your ipod, that yellow rectangle thing at the top (where the current song is listed, etc.) it will say "Accessing iTunes Store" Now you have to be very quick here, because it goes away fast. To the right of that there's an "x" click it. that will take you to your ipod info page. If you are too slow in pressing the x, just disconnect your ipod and try it again.

this is ridiculous, but at least i could do what i needed to do.

7. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

if you hit the little x in the status window while it's trying to load the itunes store, it will bring you to the iPod preference stuff. But that's a stop-gap measure. I really am annoyed that the stupid January Software update stuff is doing that.

8. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, i agree, but at least it lets you get in. i'm as angry as anyone else.

9. tip macrumors 6502

tip

You could simply kill your network connection when you plug in your iPod.

You'll be brought to your summary page, then you can simply reenable your network connection at that time.

10. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, i guess, since apple fixed the wifi issue with 10.5.2 (so far) and it doesn't take 10 minutes to reconnect my wifi. (and having to re-type my password).

11. CHolmes93 macrumors newbie

Wow!!!

YOU REALLY ARE THE MAN!!! omg thank you so much!

12. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I don't have this problem. Make sure your touch is running the 1.1.3 firmware. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Also, I have never been prompted to purchase the programs. I think that there is a "don't show me this again" check box on the promt. I might be incorrect, but I have seen this before.

Basically, the only way I can get the programs now is to maually go to the store, find them and download them.

I don't think this is as big of a deal as your making it out to be, you just havent' found the golden key yet to lock it back up!!:p

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

IHMO I think the touch update from Apple for $20 is a little steep, I think there wouldn't be as much backlash about it if it was free (as most people expected) or cheaper (like around the $5 to $10 mark).

14. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

The "no thanks" button takes you to a splash screen for the apps, like an advertisement. the only button on that screen is "OK" which just takes you to the iTunes store. Also, i have 1.1.3.

15. petrasvilkas macrumors newbie

Clicking the little (X) in the title work-around

Clicking in the little (X) "x in a circle" does let me get to the management screen. Yea for latency in the connection time so I have time to push it.

Thanks for the workaround. It was starting to feel like "give us $20 and we'll let you use you iPod again."

Thanks,
    Petras