Make lower quality photo look good as background?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reedomann, Dec 14, 2011.

1. reedomann macrumors member

reedomann

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you give more information as to what you're trying to do? Your post isn't very descriptive.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

Sounds to me like the OP has a small size picture that they wish to enlarge to be their entire background, but when they do this its very "blocky'.

And the answer is essentially "thats what happens", you cannot put back details that aren't there.

Unlike in CSI where they can enlarge a single pixel to show someone's face or a number plate, in real life a single pixel enlarges to a bigger single pixel. There are some picture editing apps that can make an attempt at smoothing out and guessing where detail is by looking at neighbouring pixels, so the result looks less blocky, but even the best of these will have severe limitations on what can be done. Without knowing the size of the original picture in pixels its not possible to know if one of these apps has a chance of working any CSI magic.

4. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

You aren't really going to get it to look good by trying to enlarge the image. You can downsize images, but going the other way there is no detail to fill in. There are some techniques you can use in tools like Photoshop, and if you try them you want to enlarge in very small increments, not go to the full size all at once. I've done this for large prints, but for something like a display background I don't think it is going to look that great.