Make Mac Dialogue Boxes "bounce / wiggle" like Linux

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ecthgow, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ecthgow macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm extremely new to Mac (lifetime of PCs) but have been playing around with Linux (Ubuntu) lately and I really like the graphics feature that makes the dialogue boxes sort of like jello and bouncy when you click to drag them.

Is there a way to pull this off in Mac somehow??

I tried a quick google search but came up empty... Just thought it would be fun.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

You likely can install Compiz, which handles the effects, compositing, etc. that you saw in Ubuntu. However, it will only affect things you run under X11, it does not integrate with Quartz to affect all of your "regular" OS X apps. Most of the OS X eye-candy still serves some purpose (Expose, etc.), and the compiz stuff, while flashy, doesn't seem to gain too much in productivity. Certainly the "genie effect" for the dock doesn't either, but it doesn't seem like anyone at Apple has been officially tasked with getting compiz like effects going for all of quartz.

-Lee

3. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Animations as visual cues can be pretty valuable, as long as they don't get in the way. The Genie effect was both flashy, and showed you where the minimized window went, for example.

Now, animations that are done for the sake of animation tend to be what disrupt the productivity.

4. autorelease macrumors regular

Pretty sure the answer is a resounding no.

The window manager is responsible for all the window effects; all the programmer gets is a rectangle to draw stuff in. You could fake something by using transparent windows and offscreen contexts. On second thought, forget I even suggested that.