Make Macbook Stationary

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applefriend2008, Oct 31, 2008.

1. applefriend2008 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I just got a new macbook and i realized that i dont really make use of its portability. It is essentially a desktop replacement for me--its on for about 6-8 hours a day. So my question is, to preserve the battery's lifespan, is there anyway to make the macbook stationary? Like take the battery out and run the laptop using the charger/ac adapter.

thanks.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

sounds like you answered your own question...

However the OS underclocks the CPU when you take out the battery.

3. applefriend2008 thread starter macrumors member

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

A macbook won't magically move by itself. So if you don't move it then it's stationary. There problem solved. Enjoy your expensive and tiny new iMac.

5. applefriend2008 thread starter macrumors member

will the macbook power up without the battery and with the charger though?

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Leave the battery in the MacBook - it is designed to work plugged in to ac power. Don't worry about the battery and leave it in the MacBook. Pull the ac power lead out once a month and let it run on battery for 3 or 4 hours. Then plug the ac lead back in.

If you take the battery out the processor will probably run at 1GHz instead of 2GHz.

How do you know after having used the machine for a few days that you won't use the portability - are you not allowed to leave your home or something ???

7. applefriend2008 thread starter macrumors member

well i use the computer alot and it goes one of two places: on my desk or with me on my couch. i get what you are saying; i am also going to college next year so i will be using its portability. I just thought that i could figure out a way to preserve some battery life but theres no way. thanks for your help.