Make Macbook Stationary

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by applefriend2008, Oct 31, 2008.

1. applefriend2008 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I just got a new macbook and i realized that i dont really make use of its portability. It is essentially a desktop replacement for me--its on for about 6-8 hours a day. So my question is, to preserve the battery's lifespan, is there anyway to make the macbook stationary? Like take the battery out and run the laptop using the charger/ac adapter.

thanks.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I usually take out the battery if it is not going to be on the road for a while. I have had a powerbook since 2005, the battery recently died, and I run it without one now. Works just fine..

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Using your MacBook without the battery in will slow down the processor and it's dangerous. The danger comes from losing your work with an electrical interruption like MagSafe gets accidentally pulled out or a brown out.
    Leaving your battery in while using AC is fine. Once the battery is fully charged, it goes into a resting state and discontinues charging. It's a li-ion type (actually a lithium polymer) and it doesn't act like the Ni-Cads of notebooks past where overcharging is harmful to your battery.

4. applefriend2008 thread starter macrumors member

So what would you suggest:

1. charging the notebook up all the way, taking the charger out, using the macbook until it goes into reserve mode, then plugging it back in. and repeating when its charged.

or

2. keep the charger in even after the notebook is charged up.

5. iKennett macrumors 6502

I would keep the battery in, even when using the mains power.

Guess it depends on how often you have power cuts and if there is any danger of the power plug coming lose or the socket turned off by someone!