Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Could the admins make MacRumors in some way easier on the eyes? The white-greyish background is starting to stress out my eyes after a while.
Thanks.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Could the admins make MacRumors in some way easier on the eyes? The white-greyish background is starting to stress out my eyes after a while.
Thanks.

What would you prefer? Black with green text? Maybe everything ruby red? :/

Works fine for me. I mean I'm not saying its not dreary looking, it is, but I'm perfectly fine with the white...

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

There just needs to be another version of vBulletin. Version 3.6.10 is currently running but Im not sure if there is a later version out or not.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Get away from the Mac or try using a smaller window. Get your eyes checked out, you may need glasses or a change in lighting.

A pale ground background is the least visually stressful of all... and some of us spend a helluva lot more hours here than you do with no ill effects.

We can't do much about glossy displays. ;)

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
Check out, what I did: It doesn't look perfect but it's soooo easy on the eyes.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 210

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I vote for blood red. Or even glittering silver! Metallic Bronze will also do..

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Arn said hes looking for someone to help redo the look but its gonna be a while because it has to be volunteer work.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Arn said hes looking for someone to help redo the look but its gonna be a while because it has to be volunteer work.

I'm not entirely sure whether the latter part of that statement is correct. We've all been talking about the site redesign process elsewhere forever and a day.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

ergdegdeg said:
Check out, what I did: It doesn't look perfect but it's soooo easy on the eyes.

And of course you could just do (Command Option Control 8) to make it look better

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm not entirely sure whether the latter part of that statement is correct. We've all been talking about the site redesign process elsewhere forever and a day.

Ah, well I was just going off the memory of the last time this question was asked that I bothered to look at. Of course you would be much more aware of the going-ons of MR :eek:

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
We're actually almost done with the redesign. Its looking great. The background isn't going to be darker though; we are going with animated gifs tiled across the background. Dancing hamsters mostly. The text is a nice bright yellow and seems to look best in comic sans for the font, but i also really like sand. We also have this cool animated graphic that follows your cursor (and we changed the cursor too!). We found this great mp3 that plays on a loop, and the buttons/tabs/links all make different sounds when you hover and click on them.

The best part though is the cool flash intro page. We made 14 different intro pages for different parts of the site like the front page, entering the forum, starting a post and so on. Its taken a long time, the flash videos amount to more than 3 hours of total play time.

We are also incorporating A LOT of ajax so pretty much everything slides or flips or collapses or pops up (cool sound effects on most of this too). Its very modern looking. Everything has a drop shadow and/or a gradient of some sort (even the ads), and everything is glossy and has reflections. And if you thought coverflow in safari was rad, just wait 'til you see all the places we have found to incorporate a web version of it!

Speaking of the ads we found a really clever unobtrusive way to display them. They are tiled around the content in a ring and stay fixed as you scroll since they are all in frames. This means the site can still make money and the ads stay out of your way (other than the inline, popup, video, and audio ads).

This provides less space for the content, but its ok because we're reducing content to tweet size so Arn and Eric can post articles while they are on the go. You'll also get updates on all events in arn's life (except for clapping he says when he is clapping he will tell us that he is sneezing or something since he thinks clapping is too private) since people always seem curious about his life.

There is a reason its been taking so long, we have a lot of great things (way more than I have already revealed) - the new logo was designed by this firm in london that designed the next olympic logo. We're very excited and hope you will just be patient and wait a tiny bit longer.

;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Because inverting the colours quickly while you're at MR is faaaaar more difficult than redoing the entire look of the forum. :rolleyes:

Just invert the colours and stop being lazy. It takes a split second.

Or do what Ergdegdeg did.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
We're actually almost done with the redesign. Its looking great. The background isn't going to be darker though; we are going with animated gifs tiled across the background. Dancing hamsters mostly. The text is a nice bright yellow and seems to look best in comic sans for the font, but i also really like sand. We also have this cool animated graphic that follows your cursor (and we changed the cursor too!). We found this great mp3 that plays on a loop, and the buttons/tabs/links all make different sounds when you hover and click on them.

The best part though is the cool flash intro page. We made 14 different intro pages for different parts of the site like the front page, entering the forum, starting a post and so on. Its taken a long time, the flash videos amount to more than 3 hours of total play time.

We are also incorporating A LOT of ajax so pretty much everything slides or flips or collapses or pops up (cool sound effects on most of this too). Its very modern looking. Everything has a drop shadow and/or a gradient of some sort (even the ads), and everything is glossy and has reflections. And if you thought coverflow in safari was rad, just wait 'til you see all the places we have found to incorporate a web version of it!

Speaking of the ads we found a really clever unobtrusive way to display them. They are tiled around the content in a ring and stay fixed as you scroll since they are all in frames. This means the site can still make money and the ads stay out of your way (other than the inline, popup, video, and audio ads).

This provides less space for the content, but its ok because we're reducing content to tweet size so Arn and Eric can post articles while they are on the go. You'll also get updates on all events in arn's life (except for clapping he says when he is clapping he will tell us that he is sneezing or something since he thinks clapping is too private) since people always seem curious about his life.

There is a reason its been taking so long, we have a lot of great things (way more than I have already revealed) - the new logo was designed by this firm in london that designed the next olympic logo. We're very excited and hope you will just be patient and wait a tiny bit longer.

;)

These updates sound awesome... Thanks for revealing them. I look forward to my processor frying while trying to access MR.... :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Did you read it? No wait.....did you understand it, and I mean reaaaaally understand it (i.e., the sarcasm)?

Good point but somewhere in another dimension, MacRumours stayed with off-white and black text, and off-white with black text was successful. So, basically, what's the point of really arguing this when all of this did happen somewhere out there?

Nice debate though. Thanks.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Although a little dated, MR is definitely one of the fastest, easiest to read forums on the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.