MAKE MAIL.APP ON MAC SYNC WITH iPHONE

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zainjetha, Jan 29, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

hi

i use pop3 mail on both my devices, MBP and iPhone. When the mail downloads it downloads onto either my MBP or iPhone, but leaves a copy on the server. I was wondering if there was a way to make itunes sync the actual folders and messages contained within between two devices, not just the mail ACCOUNTS - thats pointless, any dumbie could type in a few mail settings.

Regards

Zain

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

this has nothing to do with itunes or your iphone, per se, but the type of email account you have. an IMAP account will do exactly what you described (automatically, not through itunes). see this article (found doing a quick google search for imap vs pop) for a brief description of the differences between the two email protocols.

gmail accounts now offer IMAP email - you should consider switching to a gmail account to get this kind of syncing.

if you want more information on IMAP, do a search - there is plenty of information here on this topic already. :)