Make Mail.app save attachment with a rule

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MajereXYU, Feb 1, 2008.

1. MajereXYU macrumors regular

Hello!

I would like to make Mail.app save an e-mail attachment automatically when I send myself an e-mail with a specific word in the subject.

The only problem is, in the rules, there is no option to do this.
    The only way I can see is making an Apple Script that would be called when rules are met.

Can anyone recommend either an application/plugin or hook me up with a proper Apple Script?

What I want to do basically is send myself .torrent files from my Macbook to my iMac so it starts downloading while I am away.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are going to a lot of work to accomplish nothing. You are not going to initiate a torrent by simply saving a .torrent file. To accomplish what you are trying to do, the AppleScript would have to do the following:
    1. Parse all incoming messages for .torrent attachments.
    2. Save attachments when it finds a torrent.
    3. Open the .torrent saved attachment which should also launch BitTorrent or whichever torrent app you use.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Transmission can be set to auto check folder for t0rrent files, so getting it to open is no problem. Just leave the app on.

An email program such as Eudora (at least the 6.2 version which is PPC, not sure about the new version) saves attachments in a folder automatically. You can probably just make a go0gle mail account, enable pop, and use that.

Total set up time should be 10-30 minutes.

4. MajereXYU thread starter macrumors regular

I should've been clearer.

I plan to use Transmission, which auto-add torrents saved to my downloads folder.

There is a rule in Mail.app that can check for specific words in subject or message content.

I plan to use that rule to send myself a message which will contain a specific codeword I will invent for myself so the rule can trigger an Applescript which would then download the attachment.

5. MajereXYU thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input!

I will try this for sure.

Appreciate.