"Make Me A Pizza" iPhone function may not be such a distant concept...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Just a few days ago, TiVo announced that they have teamed up with Domino's Pizza and you will soon be able to order a pizza with your television remote. Last week, several cable television companies announced they were developing technologies that would allow people to interact with their friends through their cable boxes, such as being able to instant message on the bottom or side of the screen, while watching a sports game or television show. They said they had hopes to bring basic social networking such as Facebook to your cable box as well.

So this leads me to wonder just how much longer it will be until Apple and Google jump into this as well. The Google Maps plus GPS "location-based services" could be an innovating point. The "Make Me A Pizza and Bill My iTunes Account" function might not be such a distant concept. Maybe we'll have it in 2009. :D
    http://deseretnews.com/article/0,5143,705263886,00.html

Photoshop...

Attached Files:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This silly idea about pizza ordering on devices like TVs and set-top boxes has been sold for the last 20 years and it never really takes off, probably because it's easy to pick up the phone and order or do it online.

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

A simple App could do that, granted all three 'major pizza' companies off some type of mobile web ordering.

App would be;
    1. Location based , so it can figure you are 3 miles from a 'D' and 3.5 miles from "PJ" and 10 miles to a 'PH'

Based on preferences or previous order history it can present a menu or a 'speed dial' order menu.

Payment however will still be cash/credit... But it would be neat to bill it to your iTunes account

Would be nice IF it could be programed to deal with local parlors.
    I only eat the big 3 while on travel and can't get a local recommend.

4. efice32 macrumors 6502

Pizza hut has a webpage specialized for iPhone already. Just go to pizzahut.com on your phone and it routes you directly to it. I ordered through it last weekend.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It might be doable for simple orders, but most remotes aren't made to do all the stuff you would need. It's a pain in the A to move around a lot of DVD/Blu-ray menus, so it could be even worse on a TV.

I think an iPhone app (or another smartphone app) could do it much easier. Save your "favorite" location (probably done by individual pizza companies) and have an option to find the closest one to where you are now using the GPS nugget. Then it can work just like the online ordering does now.

6. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

I really like how more and more sites are starting to gear to us the iPhone users, makes this phone worth that much more to me everyday.

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

And thus you just legitimated an associated application, presuming the GUI and UI is well put together. Technology is becoming more ubiquitous, and things are generally (or so the argument would go) becoming more efficient via technology (although I disagree). I don't see it as being out of the reach of the imagination in the next few years.

8. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I know exactly what you mean. I'm seeing more and more websites that are custom tailored to the iPhone, and I'm even hearing commercials on the radio now where they say "available on the iPhone."

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Possibly true, but there comes a point where the process gets in the way of the objective. It's like all this talk from futurists of internet-enabled appliances... I'm not entirely sure what my fridge doesn't do now that can be radically improved by plugging it into the web. Besides, I don't want anyone hacking into my vegetable chiller. ;)

Some technology doesn't change over hundreds of years, usually because it's simple, easy to repair and just works. We still don't have the better mousetrap.

10. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

YEARS ago in arguably the most successful MMORPG (Everquest) you could order pizza while playing*
    granted it was primitive but \pizza would minimize the game UI and open up pizza huts web site so you could order a pizza.

Its NOT a new idea but its maturing.
    I'd like to see in the future the ability to see a commercial and order the product being advertised with a single click of my remote.

Scary huh, actually watch a commercial :D
    Steve Jobs knows that HSN would just exploded if the blue hairs could order that way!! :eek:

lets see what the future holds.

11. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

To some extent I agree, I don't need my `fridge telling me the door is open or that the kids just drank the last gallon of milk or they feed the dog the last hotdog. BUT I'd like to know who or when the last beer or bowl of Rocky road was drunk/ate! dang gremlins ;)

I DO however like the idea of the oven that can chill +cook+warm my dinner and I can change those times via cell or intarwebz.
    I'll be danged if i give a ratz buttocks that the coffee maker the toaster or the dishwasher are doing anything.

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I would love to order a pizza via app on my iPhone. I hate calling to order a pizza and getting Spicoli.

13. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Excellent point. Allowing customers to directly input their orders reduces human [employee] error and miscommunication. Sometimes, at a fast food restaurant, I'll say my order crystal clear as can be and the person still pushes the wrong key on the register. We have self-checkouts at grocery stores, and now we need self-ordering screens at fast food restaurants and drive-thrus.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! LIGHT BULB !!!!!
    Okay, you know those annoying homepages that pop up when you are a guest on someone's WiFi, where you have to agree to their terms of service first? Perhaps, restaurants could use that same technology to display the menu on your iPhone! :D

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I agree/know exactly what you're saying. Such is the paradox of technology I'm afraid. The difference, for me, between efficiency and the illusion of such comes down to how well any given piece of technology works, and whether or not it works better than a more conventional way of doing things.

A lot of things the iPhone does works better than the conventional way of doing things. For instance, I find checking email to be more efficient on the iPhone, one push and I'm there (and have access to all my inboxes - 6 of them - instantly. However, the iPhone is horrible for jotting things on the fly - and really I don't think any piece of technology can ever replace the pen and paper for that.

As far as ordering pizza, I could see it working better than phoning it in, but the execution would have to spectacular.

15. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Good Idea

16. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

"Make Me A Pizza" iPhone function may not be such a distant concept...

Yes, it's called a phone call.

17. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I guess reading threads in their entirety is a distant concept.

18. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I read every post and didn't see anything of note so I made a comment. I guess freedom of speech of a distant concept as well.