Make me wise in my decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigHam, Jan 12, 2014.

1. BigHam macrumors member

There are a lot of these threads... So sorry! But...

I'm purchasing my new 15' rmbp this week. Moving from my mid 2010 13' 2.4 8gb RAM 250g hard drive.

I'm either going to get the base level (8/256) or the high end (16/512). Money isn't the main concern here. But, I am replacing my work horse that has, and still is serving me well. My justification is two fold, 3 year computer cycle (as it is end of apple care) and that I need the screen real-estate when in the library away from my external monitor.

I use my machines for word processing. I'm a heavy user of Pages, word and scrivener as well as preview.

At anyone time I can have 2 pages of safari open with 10+ tabs open in each depending on whether or not I'm using my 24' Samsung display. As well as scrivener running with multiple word docs and pages open.

I'm a history major writing my thesis this year with a particular focus on language - greek, latin and hebrew as well as aramaic if I can be bothered to learn it. As a result I'm going to splash some cash and get a program called logos that will allow me to search in these languages. Their website said that it performs best with 6gb or RAM and from first install will take 7GB hard drive space.

As a result I have two routes I can go...

I can get the base line and use it as a work horse that will store all my thesis stuff and other work from uni and use the second machine as my play, music and video store house.

Or I can get the top end and merge all that into one and donate my perfectly good 2010 MBP to my dad.

I also currently have 500gb of uni work stored on an external hard drive if that makes any difference.

What should I do? Should I splash? Or balance my life?

I've also thought about an iMac. Maxed 21' or 27 with 1TB fusion... Please guide me of maccle fans ;)?

Thanks!

Hamish

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If money is not a concern then get the top end, though I don't think you'll need the extra processing/gpu power based on your needs.

You can get the base model and upgrade the ram to 16gb if you feel so moved.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Remember that none of can know for sure what load your machine will have in 3 years (end of next Apple Care). The safest bet, if the budget allows, get the hottest model they make...fastest CPU, desecrate GPU, 16GB of memory, and 1TB of SSD. You will also have max resale value towards the next machine.

You can't be too wealthily, skinny, good looking, or have too fast a car or computer. ;)

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you match the CPU, RAM and SSD capacity on the Iris model to the GT750M model, they are priced identically, so the GT750M is actually a free add-on.

Since money isn't a problem...go for the top end one. 2.6GHz isn't really necessary though.

And if you're all about speed, get the 1TB SSD. It uses a 4-lane PCIe connection and can achieve speeds of 900 MB/s-1.2GB/s. Other capacities only use a 2-lane PCIe connection and get speeds of 650-750 MB/s.

5. Jack Sun macrumors member

A few misc points:

-Consolidating everything into one machine would be nice, rather than juggling two.
    -Base model will have better battery life, especially for your needs (faster CPU and dGPU use more battery).
    -You won't notice ANY difference in performance btwn the two, based on your usage.
    -Buying highest end for "better resale value" is not valid. Why spend an extra $1000 now to only get $500 back three years from now?

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Because you get the extra resources (faster CPU, max memory, max internal storage) to use for the 3 or more years of use before the resale.

7. Jack Sun macrumors member

Obviously my comment is in the context of OP not needing or using the "extra resources." Based on his needs, he'll never even USE what you are suggesting that he buy now for $1000 to sell later for $500. That's just plain old bad advice, sorry to say...

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

None of can know what resources OP could need to run a collection of current or future apps years from now....and be pleased with the performance.

Personally I would gladly pay an extra $500 to have the resources I needed for any likelihood for at least 3 years. I am dang glad I got the maxed out rMBP in early 2012. I don't get spinning beach balls. In the 2013 machines you can get more resources for less cost than in 2013. Its getting better all the time. :D

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

10. BigHam thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up going with the 2.0/8/512. Figured I don't need a dgpu and I tried maxing out 16gb ram in the store with my normal tasks before i purchased it but I could only get a maximum of 10... and that was a massive effort. 40 + safari tabs, 10 word docs with copying and pasting different language fonts and the same for pages.

So 8 will be enough as I don't see myself doing anything more intensive than that and even then mavericks seems as though it'll be able to handle it let alone moving to a solid state architecture. And I won't be gaming or doing tasks that require such performance. Even if I got aperture, I won't be doing this all at once. The money will be best spent elsewhere. Had my eye on a thunder display (heres hoping for a refresh in the next year...)

Thanks,

Hamish

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom