Make more sense to buy refurb 2010 version?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SyncSpin, Nov 8, 2011.

1. SyncSpin macrumors member

Hey all.

In the market for a 27 iMac. I am keeping my pc for gaming and web testing. I want to plug my pc in to the iMac and I am learning now that this won't work with the new iMacs.

Apple has a refurb july 2010 model. This one would work still right? As an external monitor?

Is grabbing this my only option for my needs?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If you have a video card in your PC that outputs mini-displayport or displayport you can connect it to the 2010 iMac and get full native iMac resolution for your Windows 7 gaming goodness. I do this with my Alienware laptop. Sometimes the audio is sketchy but I've determined it's an issue with the Alienware or Windows because the MBP connects with none of those issues.

Using any non-displayport output will not result in full native resolution.

Cheers,

3. SyncSpin thread starter macrumors member

So if I use HDMI output on my PC and then a HDMI to mini display port adapter it wont work to full resolution?

If so, that sucks! Thanks for the help so far!

4. panzer06, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Not only will HDMI sources not provide the native Res the simple adapters don't work at all. You need a converter which will cost significantly more. If your PC is a desktop you'll do better replacing the graphics card with on capable of outputing mini displayport. They do exist.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=1&Description=ati+mini+displayport&x=19&y=20

Cheers,

Edit: Looks like some PC cards don't work well with the 2009 models. Not sure if it applies to the 2010s. Here's the post.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13765704&postcount=7