Make movies stretch to fit screen

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ctrice, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Ctrice macrumors newbie

I have a couple movies that I've ripped and they are 4:3 and when I play them on Apple TV there are black bars on both sides. Is there any way to make movies stretch to fit the entire screen?

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Can you use the "Zoom" function on your TV?

If they were 4:3 when you ripped them, then they should appear with black bars on the side.

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

What he ^ said.

If the source material was 4:3, then you're going to get the black bars. Most widescreen televisions will allow you to stretch and zoom to get rid of the bars, but then you are either going to distort the picture horizontally or end up cutting off portions of the top and bottom of the frame.

Just watch it in 4:3, like in the olden days.

4. Ctrice thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it was originally 4:3 when I ripped the movie. There must be a way to stretch it though. Even QuickTime has that option.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

There’s no built-in “stretch-o-vision” feature in the Apple TV, and you should just say no to 4:3 stretching to fill a 16:9 screen. It completely distorts the picture.

If you’re that desperate, just pick up the widescreen version of the movie used at your local video store or Amazon for cheap.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

+1

This solution is absolutely free and it works everytime.

7. roidy macrumors 6502a

If you really want your 4:3 material to display in 16:9 then encode it with Handbrake and set a custom pixel aspect ratio of 64:45 for PAL or 40:33 for NTSC (I could be wrong about the NTSC pixel aspect ratio as I'm from a PAL country).

8. roidy macrumors 6502a

It most certainly doesn't work on my Samsung TV.

TV set to 1:1 pixel mapping:-
    Picture 1.jpg

TV set to Zoom:-
    Picture 2.jpg

TV set to Wide Zoom:-
    Picture 3.jpg

Which is strange because it really should.

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

Weird...I have three options: Normal, Stretch and Fill on my Westinghouse 42" HDTV...normal is the 4:3 as you see, the Stretch makes it fill the whole 16x9 space while keeping the height the same, and the fill essentially zooms into the center of the picture until there is enough horizontal imagery to fill the screen, cutting off the top and bottom of the image.

It also worked the same way with the digital converter box I used about 5 years ago with my standard def TV. :confused:

I agree, it should work...like you say.

10. roidy macrumors 6502a

Yep, it's strange, I've got Just Scan which is a 1:1 pixel mapping mode, Zoom which zooms into the center of the image but still doesn't fit the horizonal width of the screen and Wide Zoom which is like Zoom but only zooms the width but still doesn't fill the width of the screen. Luckly I like my 4:3 material to be 4:3 so it makes no difference to me:)

11. slyreptile macrumors newbie

I also have a Samsung. Instead of the Zoom, couldn't the PSIZE function be used to expand the screen to 16x9 instead of 4x3 or Just Size?

12. roidy macrumors 6502a

The PSIZE button just cycles through the same option I listed.

What I have noticed is that in the Samsung menus I have two different places where I can change the picture size one is called SIZE and gives the following options:-

Auto Wide (this is unselectable when using HDMI as an input)
    16:9
    Wide Zoom
    Zoom
    4:3
    Just Scan

The other is called Screen Mode and contains the following options:-

16:9
    Wide Zoom
    Wide
    4:3

Now all the option under Screen Mode are grayed out unless the first set of options ie. SIZE is set to Auto Wide which you can't set when using HDMI.

Hmmmm.... Very strange. Don't know why they need two different sets of sizing options........

Picture 4.jpg

13. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I believe that some TV's will not allow you to zoom on HD signals. Maybe that could be the problem. They may only allow zooming on 480i/480p signals.

That is certainly not true for all TV's - my Pioneer TV can zoom all signals.

14. roidy macrumors 6502a

Yep, I think your right. Even through I don't use the feature it got me interested and I did some testing. It seems the zoom function works ok for the SD scart inputs but not for the HD inputs ie. HDMI. I'd still love to know why Samsung feel the need to give me two sets of picture size controls?