Make my aTV2 ready for sale-how

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MrMister111, Mar 23, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have an aTV2 that is jailbroke with aTVflash on. I want to sell it maybe. What don't need to remove/reset etc for sale like this so none of my personal details are left on.

What can I leave on etc.
    thanks

2. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

The more conservative among us will tell you to completely wipe your Apple TV and re jailbreak from scratch so you are sure there is no lingering information from your accounts on it. (Restore to factory settings)

When I sold mine all I did was log out of all my accounts. (Netflix, iTunes, home sharing, etc.)

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. Think I logged out of iTunes, home sharing and netflix, didn't wipe, didn't have time really as you say that would have been best way though.

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

i would factory restore it. anybody looking for one of these already knows to, or will have someone else jailbreak it.

leave nothing to chance

5. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I didn't think to factory restore it before I jailbroke it so I just logged out of everything and erased my network settings (which really didn't need to do but whatever).

The ATVs on eBay that were pre-jailbroken and loaded up with all the popular add-ons were selling for higher prices so I did all that before selling. I was annoyed that my ATV was the only original box and manual I didn't hang on to so I don't know if that affected the price any. I did have the original power cord and remote. I had offered to put a fresh battery in the remote but it sold before I got the battery and the guy said he didn't care about it so I mailed it with the old battery. I put it up for a 7 day auction AND did a BuyNow for $234.99 plus shipping. The guy bought it two hours later at that price so I may have been able to get more but I'm not complaining.

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wish I had but someone did a "buy it now" so was in a rush. Logged out but didn't restore. Asked him and he said he is going to restore it. Bit nervous now though!!

Think I should change my iTunes password? Means a lot of devices in the house etc?

7. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Changing your password will give you peace of mind and is easy to do. Apple always gives me a heads up when I log in to the store from different computers and I get an email receipt for all my purchases so it's pretty hard for someone else to use it without my knowing but better safe than sorry.

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeh you do have me thinking now actually. I might change Apple/iTunes password and my Netflix one to. That's about only 2 isn't it to change? Can't think of any others that would be on there?

I deleted the aTV2 backups also. I have his name and address as was an eBay purchase to suppose.

9. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

lol, now that I think of it, I did authorize it to use my Comcast account for HBOGO. Maybe I should look into that. I didn't do HuluPlus so I don't have to worry about that.

10. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah I'm definitely changing now you got me paranoid!!

Think for me it was Home Sharing (that same as iTunes password?), Netflix and iTunes account. In UK we don't have many services on Apple TV really.

11. laurim, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I called Comcast and tried to find out how to deactivate HBOGo without physically having the ATV but she didn't really understand that the ATV only gets authorized once and you don't need to keep putting in a password. She kept saying "but the HBO is connected to your cable box and your internet with Comcast". And I would say, "But I can watch HBO Go in the airport on THEIR wifi and that's not my house NOR my internet". Kind of the whole point of the "GO", huh? Then she told me to ask Apple how I would remotely erase the password and I told her it was a one-time activation, not a stored password. I said I didn't see why, if I created a connection on my end, they didn't have a way to break the connection on their end. Maybe a list of activated devices they could then deactivate. She said no. Sheesh. I finally gave up. I googled and apparently the only way to deactivate HBO GO on an ATV is on the ATV itself. I also read a couple articles that say HBO doesn't really care right now if people share HBO Go and there's no limit to the number of activated devices so I guess I'll just let it go. I TRIED to do the right thing, lol. That's all I can do, short of canceling HBO I suppose. But not with True Blood coming back!

EDIT: Maybe for the ATV in particular, since I don't have to store a password or re-log in like I do on my iPhone when I'm away, it IS connected to my home network and so the activation connection will be broken if it leaves the house. Has anyone used their HBO Go on an ATV at someone else's house?