Make my iPhone mono

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by asamac, Feb 4, 2008.

1. asamac macrumors newbie

Is there any way of making all your iPhone output come out in mono? I realise that this is a bit specific but I can't be the only iPod/Phone user in the world that is deaf on one side...can I?
    I've managed to bastardise the headphones to swap the R headphone to the L headphone with a Stanley knife and soldering iron (my right ear is the deaf one and that's the one with the mic and clicker on it) so now I just have to make it all mono.
    Thanks very much to anyone who can help.

2. yayaba macrumors 6502

I don't think there is a way to do this.

It'd probably be easier re-encoding all of your music with the sound tweaked to one channel only.

3. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

probably easier to just mess with the wiring of the headphones. not exactly sure how though.

4. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

It would be hard on the iPhone connector, but on a better connector (one you can open) just combine the left and right leads and re-solder. Then both your earbuds will be mono. By the way the speaker on the iPhone is mono.

5. asamac thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers, guys looks like I'll have to get my soldering iron out, this means I've got a new problem: The mic is on the right, which is the side I'll be chopping off, so i'll need to take both the buds off, swap the left one over, splice the cables, solder and cover.

Thanks for the help I'll let you know now it goes, and post some pics of the process.

6. asamac thread starter macrumors newbie

I managed to burn my hands to bit's and get the headphone working in mono to an extent but to be honest I'm not the best in the world with a soldering iron.

With all the new Apps on the market there must be one that gives you both channels through one Headphone?

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

A really easy solution would have been to do so at the plug in side of the headphones. I don't remember which contacts are for which part, but if you compare to a normal pair of headphones, side by side, you should be able to figure it out.

If you had a normal pair, (maybe try it on those first) just solder the two parts that carry the signal to each ear together right there. Then sand it smooth with a fine piece of sandpaper. :D Or you can cut them open... I guess if you already have to do that to swap the ear piece it wouldn't be too much of a difficulty.

8. pna macrumors 6502

Whoah... before you go soldering crazy, I'd swear there's a two dollar adapter part that I'm sure you can pick up at radio shack that you'd just plug your headphones into. I remember looking into this a while back for the purpose of just listening to one headphone while biking, and keeping the other free for street noises and safety. That's the path I was going to go down, I just never ended up buying the part. I'm sure if you search around you'll be able to find it.

9. mxpx5678 macrumors member

I am part of the club

I am part of the deaf in one ear club (left ear). Although I somehow have like 30% of my hearing in that ear. I am not sure this would improve your listening experience a lot. I know it wouldnt for me because I can still kind of seperate the right and left sounds, and I have realized that my brain tries to compensate for being deaf in only one ear pretty well too.

10. asamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have been using those adapters with my iPod but they don't fit in the iPhone (Mk1) stupid sunken headphone jack. I know I could get an adapter to make the headphone jack not sunken but then I have an adapter in an adapter with headphones it.
    I was just thinking that with all the new apps someone must have made an iPhone equalizer that you could shift the audio channels. I had a look through the app store but all I found was a "Graphics" equalizer that made the phone show pretty colours.

11. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

Hate to bump up an old thread and all, but I found this via the Google search 'mono out on iphone'.

If you get one of those aeroplane adapters so that you can listen to the aeroplane music through your own headphones (2 inputs to 1 output), just plug one of the outputs in and you get mono sound.

12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

There's an option in Settings, under General --> Accessibility to turn on mono audio.

13. musicmax macrumors member

+1

The other option is to realize that all the music that really matters is already available in mono (Beatles, Dylan, Motown, Sinatra)!