Make my own time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by klooney, Oct 24, 2008.

1. klooney macrumors regular

Is there a way I can get wifi connectivity with my external hard drive without buywing an airport extreme or hooking the hard drive to another computer? Are there usb adapters that I can plug into the hard drive to make it wireless?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not just about the data conduit. Your hard drive needs power. Either it needs an external power supply, or must be plugged into a powered port on a computer or Airport Extreme.

3. klooney thread starter macrumors regular

its an external hard drive so it plugs into the wall for power, does it need the extra power from the usb port also?

4. torid110 macrumors regular

You'll need something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392008

You basically need something to turn your harddrive into a NAS device. It's not just a matter of getting it on the network via an adapter. Devices like this and time capsule are essentially servers (albeit in a tiny package).

5. klooney thread starter macrumors regular

the other question is I have an ntfs drive that has about 200GB of info on it and close to 100GB free, how do I partition the free 100GB into HFS without destroying any data?

6. torid110 macrumors regular

Not sure if you can do this, but if you open up disk utility, you maybe able to see the second "unused" partition and format it using HFS+. If this is going back to your time capsule question, keep in mind if you get a NAS enclosure, you will not be able to do this. Since the NAS enclosure is technically a server. The unit itself formats the drive and stores data in it's own way.

7. johnjay1776 macrumors member

I think this guy is saying what I was going to say in that even if you get the storage visible to the Mac's finder on the network, Time Machine might not recognize it as a drive that it can use for backups ...

I'm also interested in whether other network attached storage can be used reliably with Time Machine. I'm betting the answer is, "no" ... ?

8. klooney thread starter macrumors regular

looks like i'll just pick up an airport extreme, external enclosure, and a 1TB internal hard drive. . . was trying to find a cheaper route

9. johnjay1776 macrumors member

Well, if you happen to find a non-Time Capsule, non-Airport solution, let me know. I'm avoiding both products because of the feedback given in the Apple Store. I'm not so much concerned with the reports of "slow backups" as I was about the reports of dropped connections.

10. Slovak macrumors regular

Seems like a ready solution at http://www.readynas.com/?p=253 . I've got this set up with FreeNAS and so far it's working, though my Time Machine seems to get stuck at times in a loop 'preparing backup'. Still investigating that issue.

11. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Avoid the AirPort Extreme Wireless Base Station. Mine just quit working after about six months of use. Sad. WAN port went out I believe from all notes here on the forum. Worst part is I paid $200 for it because I wanted an Apple produce when I already had a Netgear; I am now using the Netgear. I do think the Apple AirPort Extreme was faster with better reception everywhere, but if it is going to tinker out after six months it is NOT worth that kind of money. I expected it to work for 7 to 10 years. I mean there is NO REASON for that not to be the case. Before the Netgear, one year ago, I had a router for nearly 5 years and it worked fine when I upgraded to the N draft router.

So, I believe you should stay away from the Apple product. Also, there are plenty of NAS devices out there in the $150 to $200 range that will do everything a $500 Time Capsule will do. Don't get stuck on the Apple brand. It just doesn't make sense with a router.

Good luck...

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Uh you know you can get it replaced for free under warranty? They give you a new one.

As with reception and speed, I agree it's not that great, but it's acceptable.