Make Network Faster?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arielled01, Jan 11, 2009.

1. arielled01 macrumors member

Hi all. I just got a new Macbook Pro recently, the 2.53 ghz model. It is my first Mac so I'm really not sure how to configure or do anything too advanced with it yet. My laptop before this was an old Sony Vaio from the summer of '05. While I absolutely love my Mac, the only thing that the Vaio had over it was that it seemed to be faster internet/connection wise. For instance, I've read that Safari can be a little slow compared to other browsers such as Firefox but when I had Firefox I didn't see that much improvement (even with the about::config code things where you change some settings). I was just wondering if there is something that I could do in the network preferences that would make my connection a little faster? It's not only the Safari that is slower, downloads on applications take longer too. Thanks for any help.

Note: I haven't changed my network at all still using the same router and stuff

2. arielled01 thread starter macrumors member

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's... not a lot to go on. "Slower" is pretty subjective. What do you mean, transfer speeds are slower or it takes longer for a page request to be processed..?

4. techie4life macrumors 6502

What type of router do you have, and what type of wireless did the Vaio use? If your router is wireless-N, but is set to output only G or B signals, that MIGHT be the cause of your problem. Your MacBook Pro has built in N, so you probably want to take full advantage of that. Again, I could be completely wrong, but it's worth a shot in my book.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, but 802.11b would not normally show a noticeable internet slowdown and certainly not 802.11g unless arielled01 pays $5000/mo for internet.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Safari is actually faster than other browsers, Firefox, IE etc so I cant figure out why your internet is running noticably slower on your Macbook, other than something has changed with regards to your internet connection.