Make New Macbook Pro Look Regular And Boring

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imakepizza, Nov 30, 2013.

1. imakepizza macrumors newbie

Everywhere I see forums and articles on how to make a pc look more like a mac (though mostly on software side. still most pc's are copying design characteristics from macbooks, so it's there too). I want to make the new rMBP 13" that I just bought look as regular as possible externally. I don't want to flash a pretty and expensive-looking item mostly because I prefer modest appearance and because I want to prevent theft.

That said, can anyone point me in the direction of dull-looking cases that conceal the apple logo? I delved fairly thoroughly into the cyberspace but have not found much. Do you have any other suggestions or methods you used to deflavor the mac?

Thanks

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

3. imakepizza thread starter macrumors newbie

I prefer to have an ugly case than stickers. A case protects it more and conceals it better.

4. Leisyu macrumors member

I think you can just get a black case for it, it will not look that fancy.

5. imakepizza thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you send me a link? I could not find any black cases that do not show the logo

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You need to add a layer of light dampening material between the lid and case, to prevent the logo from shining through.

7. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I am Chinese living in China, so I am just liking you a item that might suit your needs. This thing exists, but you will have to find a vendor in US. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.166.Ya7hYA&id=22521552043

8. livit macrumors member

Why the bulk?

I'd go with a way of concealing the Apple in some minimalistic way instead. I just dislike the idea of adding bulk and weight to a product so clean and thin.

Some stickers cover up the Apple, or use the light from it in clever ways.
    This way you'll conceal the Apple, but IMO in a much nicer way.

Here's a bunch of stickers for that purpose:
    www.makeitstick.co

9. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

The BookBook would do the job.

10. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

get a screen protector that covers up the MBP just above the keyboard, and a full black case that covers up everything that could even slightly give away the fact it is a mac, like the thunderbult port, sd card slot, battery indicator, and magsafe + apple and light up keyboard with command key

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Black speck candy will do what your after but you'll have to put a square of thin card between the lid and the case to stop the apple logo showin through ;)

12. imakepizza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody. I'll probably end up putting a black case on with stickers on it.

13. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Honestly, Stickering is probably the best thing you could do to "devalue" your machine without physically harming it.

14. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I remember a customer brought in an iBook G4 (which is a white case) to replace the hard drive, and I asked him if he wanted me to try to clean up what looked like random marks on the case (I keep some really good plastic cleaner for that). "No, those are my kids' drawings. I let them draw whatever they wanted - and I figure no one would steal a laptop that looks like that! To me, it's like having my kids' pictures there… "
    So, just another idea...

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

LOL Thats great! Wow this thread is motivating me to devalue my computer! On allot of other devices Ill throw stickers on but I just can't do it on my rMBP...my old MBP had stickers on the bottom but that got messy after oh 2 years of running 100% full steam...Now the whole thing has been relegated to family computer and my mom and little sister have covered it in various decorations and tape...its unique to say the least...sometimes at night I can hear it crying out "Why did you put me up to adoption like this" or "Save me from these wretched childrens stickers"....oh well... :D