Make Opera the default browser?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tmatthews14, Apr 16, 2010.

1. tmatthews14 macrumors regular

Right now if I'm searching the internet/opening pages on my phone I'll just open it with Opera, but I am wondering if there is anyway to make this the default browser. So if I open a link through facebook, or mail, etc, it will open up with Opera.
    What do you think?

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

might be solution to this if you have a jailbroken iphone but I highly doubt Apple would let you change it on the phone from safari.

3. tmatthews14 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah obviously.
    It would have to be a jb phone. I've been going through some of the files for like the Mail app to see if anything looks like it could be changed... but nothing yet. I havent dug too deep though. I'm guessing there is some setting to tell the app (facebook/mail) which app (Safari/Opera) to open.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

I would guess

that this might be a option down the road more then now Opera just came out. They are still tweaking it to. Opera already has a 1,000,000 dl so there certainly should be at least some interest.

5. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Hello, did you read the 2 replies above yours ?? :rolleyes:

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not sure if this would even be possible in all cases. A computer usually passes a link to the default browser. This happens sometimes in the iPhone, but many times the application doesn't open Safari, rather it uses an API to run the browser inside the app. I know this isn't always the case though.

8. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

yes, did you? they only said it was only possible on a jb iphone.

9. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

As an aside, the ability to make atomic browser the default on the iPad would be rad.