Make RED X Quit program completly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alecmcmahon, Jun 13, 2007.

1. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

is there a way to make the RED X actually quit the program instead of having to command quit it?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I'm gonna say no, but I very well could be wrong. Just hit apple key and "q".

3. 66217 Guest

There is an app that makes this possible. If I find it I'll post it.

But seriously, it is much better not to close them completely. That way the next time you open them it would be instantaneous.

EDIT: Sorry, I must be confused. I was almost sure there was an app that made this possible. Read this, it is an interesting read.

4. pigphish macrumors newbie

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Hmm...a seven year resurrection. Is that a record? :D

6. Hussein Ali macrumors newbie

Hussein Ali

More than a decade since this topic was posted and the Red button is still useless.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It's not useless. You just have to accept its function since you can't change it. I often want to close all windows but leave the app open. Red button - perfect!

It wouldn't hurt to add a fourth button to quit the app. And if the red button's function is ever changed to that, then I'd have to use a two-key shortcut to close the last window in order to leave the app running. I'd adapt, no problem!

8. Hussein Ali, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

Hussein Ali macrumors newbie

Hussein Ali

Will, to be exact it's almost useless. you can change its function with the RedQuits app but it's not perfect.

There are two major cons in RedQuits:
    1- No Menus Bar detection. For example, If you want to change some settings in a certain app that works in the background and stays in the Menus Bar the Red button will quit the app instead of keeping it in the background.
    2- Can't recognize multiple windows. If you open many windows then close one of them all windows will disappear because the app will quit!

The only way to get around this behavior is to use the ⌘W shortcut unless you want to quit the app.

I wish some developer can pick where RedQuits app's developer left and add more functionality to it for those who are interested.