Make Safari more like Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ronmaverick88, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ronmaverick88 macrumors member

Ok I am only talking about a few features.

How can I add the feature to Safari that is on FireFox that let's you type in for example "Mac Rumors" in the address bar (not the full url) and it pulls up the macrumors.com with just those two words?

How can I add the feature that allows my bookmarks on my toolbar look like this in FireFox: (JUST the icons instead of the typical text only in Safari)
    [​IMG]

Also what is good to organize bookmarks?

That is mainly it, I just want those two features. To me Safari works a heck of a lot better than FireFox. FireFox for me always crashes even when I have no add ons or anything. YouTube is usually slow and it is just better to use Safari to me. Any advice for the above features on Safari?

anyone?

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

try inquisitor.
    ive used it little but basically helps.
    i just use firefox now, with all the ad blocking stuff and being able to exclusively block out an add that is on a page and other features, its just retarded when i use safari

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

i dont think you can enable a Firefox-like style address bar in Safari. I know what you're talking about though, it's really annoying to type in something like macrumors.com in Safari and have it bring you to the "sorry, can't find this page" screen...

Oh well, that's why I stick with FF.

4. tecknical macrumors regular

the awesome bar of firefox is actually pretty damn awesome. i love typing something like "cheese recipes" in the address bar and it automatically takes me to the google results page. and not having to type the URL but just keywords is the **** too

5. danb77 macrumors 6502

Keywurl does exactly what the OP wants... ;-)

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it does NOT, its a keyword invoked search engine combined into urlbar. that, and only that.

you should really try to firefox to see the awesomeness of awesome bar and the differences.

7. danb77 macrumors 6502

Safari 4 + Keywurl = (almost) awesomebar ;-)

And it's faster! :p

Edit: For the icon bookmark thing, the OP should drop a feature request with the GLIMS crew. That sounds like the sort of feature they could magic up.....

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u still dont understand what awesome bar is. how can u possibly make a solid suggestion without knowing the facts? :eek:

9. danb77 macrumors 6502

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

your statement doesn't mean a thing to OP's problem

just type mac rumors in your own urlbar and see if it works as OP wanted.

11. danb77 macrumors 6502

Yes- it works! :p

This is what keywurl does. In addition to the keyword searching it has a default search which catches any non-url non-keyword text typed in the URL bar. I have that set up to google's I'm feeling lucky search.

This means I type in "Mac Rumors" and sure enough to macrumors.com I jump!

Awesome! ;-)

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

congratulations for you, i will wait for op to test your "solution" :p

PS. I tried, and sorry to report, its quite NOT as simple, nor as powerful as what you portrayed. :p:p (that is, when it doesn't crash the safari 4b)