make Safari useful ..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dusk007, Oct 17, 2010.

1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I did work out that one reason I don't get anywhere close to the so called 8-9 h battery life on my i5 MBP is that I use Opera as my Browser. Even though I force the Intel GPU it seems with Safari the battery estimate looks a lot better (still only at minimum Brightness it reaches 8-9h and never on 50% birghtness as Apple says).
    But since I only use the Touchpad and not a mouse to control the Browser I thought that the more important stuff Safari should be able to do too at least as a mobile browser.

I put some gestures in BetterTouchTool (same as for Opera). (i.e. single tiptap for back and forward, twofinger tiptab to switch tabs, threefingerswipe up/down to open and close tabs, in short I imitate the mouse gestures I am used to.

But here is where I really need some help.
    a. What is the best way to port my bookmarks? And (optional) is there any reasonable way for syncing?
    I use Opera Link for all my different PCs, OSs and it works brilliantly because all I have to do after a reinstall is typ in name and password and everything is setup in seconds. I never used mobile me and do not really intend to do so, as it costs and I don't benefit from any family license, and I don't feel the need for any other mobile me feature. It is simply a little overpriced for simple syncronisation.

b. How do I change(not add) short cuts? I found a page for all the safari short cuts and there are many of them. I don't really like some of them though. One of the reasons I think Opera is superior to most other browser are the single key short cuts. They are off by default because they would most likely confuse anybody who doesn't know about them but they make everything more efficient.
    The most important being all though it is a default setting and not really a single key short cut is the . instead of CMD+F and Enter instead of CMD+J. And I'd like some single key for CMD+G. I don't know how to change it in Safari and if I change it globally somehow it probably wouldn't work, because it is important for this kind of shortcuts to differntiate between a I am just writing something state and the I am not typing anything but want to control the browser state. It is my understanding only the browser can really do that.

The reason is simple and being that it works so much faster. In Opera with mouse gestures you can do almost anything with the mouse and never have to lift a finger to get most things done where Safari often needs a cmd+click or whatever. And you can navigate expecially big sites faster than they are loaded only by keyboard. Press "." some String and Enter to get to a certain menu item and klick it. CMD+F a String CMD+J is as weird as it may sound to some, just worlds slower. It gets even worse if you only have one hand free to do the same task.
    I truly never really understood this whole speed thing with browser because loading speed is rarely an issue if you have a fast connection. IMO it is all about the time you need to get to where you want to be.

c. code/abreviation/shortcuts for search engines? That should be fairly easy because you can easily teach it to Firefox, but I don't know how. In Opera again only stupid people use this search box. The one you click and select a search engine and than typ something and press enter. Most people just use a short cut for the search engine and typ in the normal address bar. Like you typ "maps London" and it opens google maps and zooms to London. The same works for pretty much anything and is brilliant because you can search in the german and english wikipedia by only slightly different short cuts. It is slow to first having to use the mouse to select the search engine, then go back to the keyboard and typ something. Who does that?
    In fact with out this search box nonsense you get a real simple gui. I have the fit to width button and the address field and thats all you really need in Opera.
    In FF you can go to manage your searches and put codes in and works the same as in Opera. It is more difficult to set up but it works. I guess in Safari it should work too and Safari would give me about an extra hour of battery life or more as the estimate is telling me when I CMD+Q Opera. No Idea what Opera is doing when it ain't doing anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS: A custom key mapping program for the ridiculous german keyboard would be nice too. Sort of to create my very own custom layout. But that is a different story.

2. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

a. You can choose Import Bookmarks from the File menu in Safari. For syncing, you might like to try Xmarks.

b. Spark is the best for adding and changing keyboard shortcuts for most applications.

c. SafariStand gives Safari keyword search support, as well as other features.