Make sense to use Mini Server to replace MobileMe services?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Luba, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Can the Mini Server replace the services offered by MobileMe? Find My iPhone is now free. If I got a domain name, could I use Mini Server as email Server. What's the downside of using my Mini for this? If the power goes out and I send an email using my iPhone would the iPhone know to keep sending the event until the Mini had power again. Similarly, if events, contacts, email etc. reach the Mini and is about sync (send out) to other devices but power goes out, would the Mini know to re-send (re-sync) once power comes back on to the Mini?

MobileMe is about $70/year, hosting website is about $100/yr, and Mini Server could also replace Apple TV, so it might make sense economically too if the Mini lasts for more than 5 years.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Vs MobileMe running a Mac Mini server would be capable of providing a similar experience. A few things to note when considering the mini server option:

1) While Mail, Contacts and Calendars can by synced Push support on the iPhone is not available yet.

2) You need to take into consideration the connection setup for the server, ensuring that it is assessable online. Also the costs that might endure to set this up.

3) Troubleshooting is going to be the sole responsibility of yourself.

3. jerry333 macrumors member

jerry333

Services like Mobile me and gmail are done on a "best effort" basis. This means they will try not to lose your data but if they do the answer is "Sorry". And although they try not to, sometimes they do lose data. Real commercial services have SLAs with penalties if they lose your data. However, they are significantly more expensive and often require long term commitments.

Running your own services will always cost more then services like Mobil me and gmail and will take administration time on your part. On the other hand you will know how well your data is protected by backups and duplicates. You will also be able to fix any problems immediately without waiting for someone else to prioritize your particular fix. Additionally, new things can be tried right away.

To run your own services or not depends on what kind of person you are, what your skill level is, and how valuable your data is to you.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

For residential accounts, the internet providers in my area block a lot of the ports that you'd need open to make running your own server successful, like SMTP (mail) and HTTP (web).

You have to buy business-class accounts from them to get those features, and business-class accounts costs $40-$50/month more than residential-class.

Hopefully you're not in the same position. :(

5. godrifle macrumors regular

godrifle

Or run them on non-standard ports...

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

While that may be true for HTTP, SMTP will require the standard port if it hopes to connect with other SMTP servers to send and receive mail.