Make shorter website address?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by stovetop6872, Nov 30, 2008.

1. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

2. SickSided macrumors newbie

You have to rename your home.html file to index.html.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, not really. it's auto-forwarding the browser. That has nothing to do with the name.

Are you using iWeb? iWeb will automatically set things up like this. I'd need to know more about your site and how you created it to give more information.

4. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I did use iWeb, but I published to a folder and then uploaded it via FTP to GoDaddy.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, iWeb setups an auto-refresh that points to your home page. This is basically out of your control as far as I am aware. The only work around might be to use masking, which you would setup through GoDaddy.

6. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

Dang! Well thanks for your help anyway! Hopefully iWeb '09 won't stink as much as iWeb
    08!:D

7. Mitou macrumors regular

You can forward with masking and only the example.com will show but it has some drawback. When you use masking no indication of individual pages will show. Instead of example.com/home or example.com/services all the pages will have the same example.com and it will not be possible for someone to bookmark an individual page any bookmark will always bring the visiteur to the home page. Since you are using iweb and godaddy (I use both as well) you can do a cname change and that will give you example.com/products or whatever the page is. I hope this is clear enough. Godaddy is very helpful on the phone and can help you make the change.
    Good luck

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you have file access on your server and it is running Apache, may I suggest editing the .htaccess file in your web root (/www or /public-html) directory. There should be a line that starts with Redirect at least once in there.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, there's no .htaccess file here. It's already been stated the OP is using iWeb, so that's not going to be part of this.

10. Giovannino macrumors member

iWeb doesn't create a .htaccess file but that doesn't mean you can't build it yourself and use it. I use an .htaccess with an iWeb created website. No problem.

I would not use a domain with masking (or cloaking) it has too many drawbacks. The way you (OP) have it now is really the best to get indexed by Google, to have people sharing the link to your pages and so on.

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

True, but the person was suggesting the .htaccess file was the problem for the OP, which I was stating as not being the case. It's also unclear what type of server the site is being hosted on.