Make the right call with a refurb vs. a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mwi555, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mwi555 macrumors newbie

Just need some reassurance. I was planning on purchasing one of the new macbooks. Probably the 1299 macbook. I saw a deal and after three attempts on several days was able to secure a 2.5ghz macbook pro (15 inch 512 vram) for 1499 from Apple Refurb. I really like the new macbook (and pro for that matter) however for two hundred bucks more I couldn't help but think it was better. Some reassurance would be helpful. I won't use all the power, but I would at least know I had it if needed.

Thanks

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I think it's a great purchase man/woman (lol) if you don't mind having the latest and stuff your ve got yourself an awesome machine...

3. Mercellus macrumors regular

It really depends. I really prefer the new unibody enclosure compared to previous MacBook Pro models, it feels a lot sturdier and solidly constructed. If you're not looking at using a lot of graphics power, the 13-inch Aluminum MacBook would probably suit you well, as the GeForce 9400M is quite powerful for an integrated graphics solution.

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I had the exact same dilemma. I went into the store, I was set on getting the Macbook, but then I saw the screen. It's so much better to look into a bright screen that doesn't change much with the angle you are looking at like the MB. I then asked the Apple store genius, who all said they would go with a refurb MBP. They said, off the record, that "In terms of capabilities the MB is nowhere near the MBP. There simply is no comparison." I give them credit, because they were actually loosing a sale from their store. I went ahead and ordered it using one of their floor computers from the apple website.

I've gotta say, after picking this MBP Classic (i got it for 1399 at the edu clearance store) there hasn't even been a single moment where I wish i had went with the MB.

If I were you, I would walk into the store and take a look at the screen on the MBP vs the MB. Better yet, if you have a friend who has a MBP Classic, put all three computers side by side. Then take your pick.

Everyone will have a different set of needs from their computer, so I understand if some people want the MB. For me, there simply was no comparison.

Most importantly, ENJOY YOUR NEW MAC!

5. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I'm using a 2.5 Ghz refurb, and I couldn't be happier. I didn't like the look of the new macbooks or the glass trackpad Getting the refurb was the best decision ever, I couldn't be happier with a mac.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

7. mwi555 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate each of you for your responses. I really like the feel of having what is new, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. You all helped me know I made the right decision.

Thanks

8. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I think everyone likes the feel of having something "new" but if that's all that really matters you'll always have to be buying a new Mac every six months just to keep that feeling. Since the MBP Classic has more power than you need right now, it should give you plenty of service for a few years. By then there will be an even newer Mac notebook computer to buy. Enjoy your purchase, and stop second guessing yourself. Embrace it, and don't look back. You'll be happier, I promise.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBP (Classic) is still a lot more powerful - and better equipped than the new MB; besides, it has a far better screen. It is a terrific computer (I have one and am very happy with it) and you will enjoy it hugely. As long as you don't mind not haveing the latest/most-up-to-date technology, the classic MBP is a superb buy. Besides, you can always sell it if the next set of upgrades (probably due out something next year) appeal to you more.

Cheers and good luck

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

need more info

What's missing from your question is what you will be using it for. I just bought a top end MB when a two month old MBP came up on craigslist for $1400. And to be honest, I agonzied over returning my MB and getting it's larger, two month old brother with a 512 mb video card.

Benchmarks show the new MBs to be the equal of the legacy MBP's in processing power, speed, etc. So for my everyday purposes, (surfing, word processing, occasional iPhoto, etc) I probably wouldn't tell much of a difference between the two. The pros have bigger screens, and some argue slightly better. (I honestly could not tell a difference between the new MB and MBP at the Applestore; the pro may have a slightly better viewing angle.)

Do you need Firewire, or the express port? Will you be taking it on the road a lot? Are you a big gamer? Do you have a big honkin LCD monitor at home to hook it up to? Is the pro glossy or matte?

I'm assuming you'll be doing with it the same thing that I am, or else you would have said as such.

Bottom line is, either is an excellent decision, and based upon your needs and preferences. If I didn't just buy the MB, I would have jumped all over the MBP on CL and been happy with it. I'm happy with my MBPM (macbook pro mini). The reason why I didn't return mine is that the restocking charge, plus the extra cash for applecare on the MBP would have raised my TCO up to what I spent on the MB.

Enjoy your new machine!