make the search with google service work in other browsers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trevorlsciact, Jun 28, 2008.

1. trevorlsciact macrumors regular

OK, i did Google after Google and searched here I cant seem to find anything. Is there a way to make the search with Google service work with other browsers than safari?
    I'm using Firefox 3 now, and I love it. At least on this computer it is faster than Safari, my only gripe is that I ALWAYS am Google-ing things from other applications; C&P is such a pain. Is there any way to make this happen in another browser, Firefox specifically? I don't care how, installing an app, messing with terminal, anything as long as it works. Any help would be appreciated :)

obviously if this has been brought up and my searches missed it somehow just close the thread and direct me right there

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Search with Google service in the Services menu only works with Safari because it is a service of Safari. That's the way the Services menu works -- an app has to provide the service to you before you can use it.

There are some possible workarounds discussed here, though:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=503471

3. trevorlsciact thread starter macrumors regular

hmm ok, didn't realize that but makes sense, anyway to get an OS X service from firefox? none of the things in that thread are about searching outside of firefox, would it be possible to create an app that gives a service that directs to firefox?

and if not is there anyway to at lease REMOVE the search with google service? bugs the hell outa me whenever i accidentally use it