Make Time Machine Overwrite Previous Backups?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SHADO, Dec 8, 2010.

1. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I have an external that I use with Time Machine, however I don't need incremental backups. Rather, what I would like is only one backup so that I can save space. In this backup, however, I would like specific things to change that change on my computer, as TM already does with its incremental backups. So basically I just want to condense the function of TM into one single backup that will update whenever I back up again. I realize this is not the primary function of TM, but is there any way to make this possible? Or is there any other software that would do this? I've heard of Silverkeeper and Retrospect, but never used them.

2. SHADO thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I used CCC for cloning my Windows partition when I re-installed OSX, but does it have the functionality of deleting things that I delete on my computer, or does it just build upon 1 backup?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use it to clone your Windows or Mac partition. Then, it will backup any changed/added files to the same backup, overwriting the previous files. I don't think it will delete from the backup if you delete from the internal. If you do a lot of deletions, it's quicker to just re-clone the drive.

4. SHADO thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Ok I didn't realize it had this functionality. I'll give it a try thanks.