Make two external hard drives appear as one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WG92, May 23, 2011.

1. WG92 macrumors newbie

I'm looking towards buying a second external hard drive to store my movie and music collection. However, searching through two separate disks is not quite practical. Therefore, I was wondering wether or not it is possible to link the two external hard drives together so that my MacBook Pro sees it as all but one external hard drive; which should make browsing both hard drives using Finder quite a bit easier.

Is this possible? And if so, do I need to buy a specific hard drive?
    Thanks in advance

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think you can software RAID them into one volume but it'll destroy the current contents of the drives and you'll lose everything if either drive fails...

3. WG92 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is of course not quite a desirable situation. Although I really appreciate the quick response. Is there perhaps a hardware solution to this problem? Where one can place a piece of hardware that divides data over both drives before connection to the Mac, a ''distribution station'' so to speak?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Hardware RAID (or a Drobo). But it will still destroy anything on the drives creating the RAID array and with only 2 drives it'll suffer from the same issues regarding single drive failure. I use a Drobo for large scale storage for movies/TV shows that I can grow in demand.