make typical folder appear as a CD/DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blopes315, Feb 14, 2009.

1. blopes315 macrumors newbie

My cd/dvd drive does not work so I loaded Vista Cd on separate mac comp and transfered the data over. I need to use the data after I partition harddrive using bootcamp. However boot camp only search the c drive to find vista cd when I have all the contents of the CD in a folder located on my desktop. Anyway I can reformat the folder so that It appears as a CD, so bootcamp will use it.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Go back to the machine that has the working CD drive. Insert the CD. Open Disk Utility, highlight the CD and select Make Disk Image.

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I don't think that will work. I doubt that Windows will boot over a remote disk (or even a firewire disk), but would love someone to say otherwise.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I installed windows on parallels on my macbook air by creating a disk image of the cd, then copying the disk image to my my air and running it from my hard drive. No idea if the same thing is possible for bootcamp though.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Ya, that would be a different mechanism. There is an outside chance that target mode or remote disc works for Bootcamp when booting XP or Vista. Maybe I'll try target mode and see what happens.