make uiview transparent without having the uiview's buttons transparent

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by johnmerlino, May 30, 2012.

1. johnmerlino macrumors member

Hey all,

Im using storyboard on xcode 4. I created a uiview and put 4 buttons on it. Now I want the uiview to be transparent but the buttons remain visible. Problem is when I set alpha of uiview to 0, the buttons become invisible as well.

thanks for response

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

So what should be visible behind/around the UIButtons? Why not just make your UIButtons subviews of whatever is around them?

3. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

because I want to make the buttons reusuable since i have four uiviews that can display depending on a type selected. They all have unique buttons but certain buttons will be reused. Hence, I want a transparent ui view with visible buttons.

Is this possible?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Don't set the alpha to 0. Set the background color to clearColor.

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

You can just go in Interface Builder, and set the opacity of the background color to 0, so then it's gone. Or like Dejo said, set the background color to [UIColor clearColor];

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You can set the background to clearColor using Interface Builder, as well, using the color picker drop-down (as seen in the following screenshots):

Attached Files:

7. johnmerlino thread starter macrumors member

thanks for responses but now I have a new problem. The buttons behind the transparent uiview seem to be not clickable, as if the transparent uiview is blocking it from being clicked.

8. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Thanks Dejo for the screenshot :) I was too lazy to do it. Basically, setting the opacity is the same thing, so i thought it was easier to explain.

Next for your question, not 100% sure what the issue is. Do you have something else in that view, something laying over it, accidently pressed the "enable user interaction"?

Gz