Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
How can I make VLC player the default player?

I tried the info and "open with" and "change all". If I choose "open with" VLC and "change all", that file changes from Quicktime to VLC, but all the reamining files stays in Quicktime format. And next time I download a movie again its in Quicktime format?

Any help much appreciated.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Do all those Quicktime movies have the same filename extension? If different, the filetype association will be different.

If they're the same, then I'm not sure why that didn't work. I use a utility called MisFox to keep track & edit my filetype mappings. You could try that if all else fails.

aigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Do all those Quicktime movies have the same filename extension? If different, the filetype association will be different.

If they're the same, then I'm not sure why that didn't work. I use a utility called MisFox to keep track & edit my filetype mappings. You could try that if all else fails.

Most files are "avi" files. Shouldnt clicking the "change all" option change all those avi into VLC? I mean if I choose one avi file and then click "open with" VLC and "Change all". I think I have done this before and at that time all those avi files changed from Quicktime into VLC. But not now:confused:

Thank you for that utility tips, but I can just right click the file and choose "open with" VLC, only thinking this shouldn't be necessary.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Most files are "avi" files. Shouldnt clicking the "change all" option change all those avi into VLC? I mean if I choose one avi file and then click "open with" VLC and "Change all". I think I have done this before and at that time all those avi files changed from Quicktime into VLC. But not now:confused:

Thank you for that utility tips, but I can just right click the file and choose "open with" VLC, only thinking this shouldn't be necessary.

If they're all .avis, then yes. Once you set the mapping for .avi files -> VLC, that should work. I was just making sure you weren't setting the mapping for (say) .mov files, and then wondering why .mpg files you download still have the Quicktime icon! :)

I think changing the mapping in Finder simply changes the mapping for existing files. Subsequent files downloaded through your browser may have their helper app set differently. (I don't know this, can anyone confirm?)

If so, the MisFox may help.

(p.s. I usually keep VLC in the Dock, and use drag 'n' drop onto the icon to open any movie. Not sure why, but it just seems a little faster than the "Open As.." option for me.)

aigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
If they're all .avis, then yes. Once you set the mapping for .avi files -> VLC, that should work. I was just making sure you weren't setting the mapping for (say) .mov files, and then wondering why .mpg files you download still have the Quicktime icon! :)

I think changing the mapping in Finder simply changes the mapping for existing files. Subsequent files downloaded through your browser may have their helper app set differently. (I don't know this, can anyone confirm?)

If so, the MisFox may help.

(p.s. I usually keep VLC in the Dock, and use drag 'n' drop onto the icon to open any movie. Not sure why, but it just seems a little faster than the "Open As.." option for me.)

Ok, then if I understand correct, something is wrong with my system, since it doesn't change the format of all files. Recently I have encrypted my hd, can this maybe be the reason all files don't change?

Thank you for the drag 'n drop tip, much better, thank you. Still I would like to be able to change all files without any 3rd party software if possible.

rubirock

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
Little Beirut
Ok, then if I understand correct, something is wrong with my system, since it doesn't change the format of all files. Recently I have encrypted my hd, can this maybe be the reason all files don't change?

Thank you for the drag 'n drop tip, much better, thank you. Still I would like to be able to change all files without any 3rd party software if possible.

i dont think encrypting your hd had any effect on things. I have the same problem on my unencrypted hd. pretty annoying to not be able to just click on a media file and have it open in vlc. i've tried the same method of setting the file type to open w/vlc but to no avail. maybe i'll give MisFox a shot.

aigo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
i dont think encrypting your hd had any effect on things. I have the same problem on my unencrypted hd. pretty annoying to not be able to just click on a media file and have it open in vlc. i've tried the same method of setting the file type to open w/vlc but to no avail. maybe i'll give MisFox a shot.

But is it not strange that some users can change the file extensions and the 2 of us cannot? I know I could do this before also. Why not now?

I have done one mistake since I got this laptop, I deleted a cache folder by mistake. Can it be because of this?

Anyway thanks for your answer. Good to know that its not because of the encryption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.