Make VLC Default?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TexasJr, Nov 30, 2010.

1. TexasJr macrumors newbie

Is there a way to make VLC default with all my video files without uninstalling quicktime? As of right now all I have been able to do is make it default with one file at a time and I don't want to go through all my collections of videos changing the default application. And its not even changing all of one type of codec, its actually only changing one single file and I know because 1) the file icon didn't change and 2) when I double click on a different file even though its the same format as the one before, it still tries to come out in quicktime.

From what I saw on another thread, I have to open with> and click on Change all but I don't get that option. This is what I get:
    [​IMG]

And I do check "Always open with" but it only works for the one file that I chose. Is there anyways to change it for all files simultaneously or at least to change all of a file type so I don't have to go one file by one?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Right-click the file > Show Info > Open with application > Select the app > Change all

Have you tried that? I faced the same issue and had to change it from there to make VLC the default app of all .avi files for example. Otherwise VLC was default for only the specific file

3. TexasJr thread starter macrumors newbie

much appreciated! that did the trick :) thank you