Make Windows Files Inaccessible In Mac OS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Favenris, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Favenris macrumors member

I have installed Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro, and my question is pretty simple. When I go into Mac OS X, I can click on the Windows 7 hard drive and see its documents. I want to prevent that. I don't want people logged into my Mac to see my business files that I work with in Windows 7.

Is there a way to privatize my Windows 7 hard drive so that it isn't accessible to Mac OS X?

Basically I want people to click on Finder and not be able to visit the "Windows 7" device. I'm sure it must be simple, some way to block permissions to view that folder. Also, when you use "search for" you can still see some of the text files I opened in Windows 7 pop up.

2. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

In other words, I want to prevent my Windows 7 partition from being read on the other partition (Mac OS X).

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can right click on the Bootcamp icon and eject it, which will prevent it from being read, although you may have to do that anytime the computer is restarted. You could also unmount the Bootcamp partition in disk utility.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you want to make sure it is always unmounted at boot you could try a variation on the approach here: http://blog.brianguy.com/2009/11/automatically-unmount-boot-camp.html

If the other users on your Mac have admin rights they could just mount the drive again so if you really don't want them to have access you need to find another approach.

B