Make your own iPad stylus w mylar

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by normdwyer, Jul 19, 2010.

1. normdwyer macrumors newbie

http://flic.kr/p/8jYCNE

You can make your own free stylus for the iPad/iPhone with discarded household materials. All you need is some scraps of Mylar film, adhesive tape and small tube. - a small tube such as from an inexpensive disposable ball point pen, used watercolor brush or ant such small handheld tube like device - scraps of Mylar film such as from a holiday Mylar balloon or Mylar candy wrapper. I discovered the Mylar secret thanks to a Clif Z-bar - adhesive tape 1. Cut the Mylar into about a dozen stops about an inch and a half long and 1/4 inch wide. 2. Assemble the strips into a stack 3. Roll one one end of the stack in such a way that you can insert the strips into the end of he ballpoint pen tube about 1/2 - 1 inch; until it feels securely snug in place (make sure you've removed the ballpoint pen cartridge) 4. Cut a larger piece of Mylar film that is the same length as your tube and wide enough to easily wrap around the tube with good overlap 5. Wrap the Mylar around the tube making sure this Mylar overlaps the inserted stack of Mylar strips by 1/4 - 1/2 inch. 6. Tape securely in place. Only use as little tape as needed to secure the Mylar to the tube. You want o cover as little of the Mylar surface as possible. That's it. You're done. Now that you've made your first stylus you can play around with customizing your own stylus to meet you personal needs - a longer tube and longer layered strips to get more of a brush feel for painting. A shorter tube with shorter layered strips to get more of a stylus feel for hand writing - though I still prefer the Pogo Stylus for writing. This is a great solution for more experienced artists who are used to drawing and painting with longer tools when creating. I can't make any guarantees about mylar's abrasive qualities. I've used this Mylar stylus for 2 months now, with no harm to the screen of my iPad, but since you will be constructing your own stylus, with your own materials and draw with your own amount of pressure to the screen I can't guarantee there aren't risks.

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Interesting, but I have found that my index finger works extremely well on the iPad.