Make your Own X800XT for G4 or G5......$250

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacVidCards, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MacVidCards Suspended

One of my prouder moments back in Strangedogs days was when I discovered that the FireGl X3256 could be flashed into the PERFECT X800 for 4X AGP G4s and AGP G5s. Back then the X3s were $600+ so it was more of an academic discovery.

Now that these cards are hitting the tech unloaders, they become more attractive.

This was FIRST card for a G4 to run a 30".

Anyhow, a guy named Retek on EBay has apparently DOZENS of these cards now for $250, sometimes less.

There is a reduced ROM file for these, so if the card is functional you have a 100% chance of this working out.

If anyone is interested, I will post ROM and instructions. $250 may seem like alot, but there are still people selling USED OEM X800s for $300-500. (search for "Mac x800" and see.....still commanding a fortune) The only difference is that the OEM has ADC and DVI, while card you can make has 2 @ DVI, one of which can run a 30".

Ebay Item #350221028192.

As they are reportedley NEW cards, they have a good chance of outlasting your G5.

(Retek not me, I make no $$$ from this)

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Honestly though, are those cards WORTH that much? For what you get? I'm not saying they are selling for that much, but are they worth it?

Just curious, as I didn't get into Macs until after they switched to Intel.

3. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

The definition of what something is worth is what someone will pay for it.

Certainly, if you compare a 4870 for $350 to a X800 for $350 it is a joke.

The sad fact is that much like the 8800GT, Apple & friends STOP making cards well before people stop wanting them.

It is criminal that these same cards for PC are worth under $50, but the Mac versions then were BETTER than PC versions. (6800 and X800 cards for Mac were workstation grade) The Mac OEM versions of these cards could run 1 or 2 30" displays while the consumer lever cards for PC could not.

I am just trying to show an option versus buying a used X800XT for $400. I think a NEW card like these FireGls is likely to live longer. Not to mention being rid of the ADC scourge.

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I wasn't trying to be offensive or anything, I was just curious as to why these cards were so special being that they are quite outdated now, I understand why they could be valuable to people running G4/G5 computers and also have a 30" monitor and such.

5. MacVidCards thread starter Suspended

No offense taken.

The sad fact is that owners of G5s are still paying nearly what we Mac Pro users pay for video cards. They just get a whole lot less performance for their dollar.

The OEM Radeon 9800 256 Meg still bring more than $200...the PC version sells for less than $40.

It's gotta be awful trying to keep an aging PPC system useful with prices like that AND Snow Leopard posed to strike.

Plus, Radeons of that Era tend to run very hot, cooking themselves to death. So the chance to buy NEW cards is rare. If I had a Dual 2.7 I would jump on these.

The Quad 2.5 machines use PCIE, but best card for them is locked at 7800GTX. Imagine if performance comparisons could be made with them running 4870 or a GTX285. Pity that Netkas magic injectors don't work for PPC.