Makefile Required Executable Not Found

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by azureblue22, Aug 26, 2010.

1. azureblue22 macrumors newbie

Today you can help a physicist. I have downloaded a tidal prediction software package and I am attempting to build it.

The makefile that builds this software uses an executable named "ascii2binary" to complete the process. The problem is that the command "ascii2binary" is not found even though it exist in the source code folder.

I get this error:

ascii2bin ../data/2N2_drfes2004.asc ../data/2N2_drfes2004.bin 0
    make: ascii2bin: Command not found
    make: *** [../data/2N2_drfes2004.bin] Error 127

My operating system is Mac OS 10.4 and I am compiling the tidal software with Darwin command line terminal Utility.

This is the file structure of the software:

/FES2004

/FES2004/src (This is where the executable "ascii2binary" exist.)

/FES2004/data (The ascii files are in this directory and I believe that the bin files will be here too.)

/FES2004/lib

Thankyou

2. azureblue22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Posting Makefile

Posting Makefile

Attached Files:

3. chown33 macrumors 604

You have the same makefile pasted here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10881638&highlight=#post10881638

As I see it, 'ascii2bin' is a command that's built by the makefile, then run by the makefile. I find it a little odd that there is a 'ascii2bin.o' build rule, but not one for the source. But I could just be rusty with my makefile interpretation.

By the way, the other makefile will need the current working directory in PATH, which it isn't by default. Otherwise the newly-built ascii2bin won't be found. A possible alternative is to give the command as:
    Code:
    ./ascii2bin blah blah bah

which will tell the shell to specifically look in the current directory.

And did you mean "/FES2004/" is located at the root of your hard drive, or did you intend that to be a relative pathname, "FES2004/"?

Post the URL where the FES2004 software can be downloaded. This ensures that anyone who wants to try it will have exactly what you have.