All iPads Making 1080p video available for iPad playback from website

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gwelmarten, Nov 14, 2013.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi
    I have a 1080p mp4 video I made (2gb file size, 13 mins long), which I want to share with various members of my family dotted around the world, all of whom have iPad. I'm not sure what the best way of doing it is, since the video shows some beautiful photographs etc and I want it to play back at max resolution (or at least 720p) on iPad. When I just embed the mp4 (i.e. a link the user clicks on) it stutters because the internet connection is not quick enough. I tried using YouTube, but ContentID doesn't like it because it has music and iPad counts as a mobile device. I tried just embedding a youtube player, but the flags you can set for a PC to play in 1080p don't apply on iPad (and a very low resolution version is choosen). Does anyone have an idea of how I can offer family to watch my video on their iPads without them having to download the thing to iTunes and sync it?
    Thanks!
    Sam

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have you tried Dropbox, Skydrive, Flickr, etc?

3. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

Surely the players will still be the iOS default mp4 player? Will try dropbox I guess.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If your file is 13 minutes and 2gb, there's something seriously wrong in your file optimization settings.

I have 2 hour movies that are 1080p and 8GB.

I would try re-encoding first. But even if you get it down considerably in size, there's no guaranteeing that every connection will stream it perfectly.

Maybe Vimeo is worth checking out.

5. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

I just rendered 1080p from iMovie. I did think it was a lot at the time. Maybe I got it wrong in iMovie?

6. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

see attachment
    1920*1080:

it estimates 1.22gb for 720p.

Attached Files:

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Haven't used iMovie in a while, but seem to recall settings for specific devices?

If not, try Handbrake and output for iPad.

8. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

It's iMovie 2013 (V 10.0) so you don't get these options any more. Handbrake conversion in progress...

9. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok - I have converted it to iPad preset using Handbrake, which has got it down to 400mb. Much more manageable. Thanks.