Making a Applications launchpad with the ipad connected to my imac

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by random47, Mar 6, 2011.

1. random47 macrumors member

So I got the idea that I could use an ipad as an launchpad for the programs I use the most on my iMac. The idea is to use idisplay to connect the ipad to my iMac and then write an launchpad program containing shortcuts for your top applications. I could be nice to make some kid of stand for the ipad so it could be easy assessable when typing on your keyboard.
    What do you guys think?

(BTW: sorry for my english)

2. chown33 macrumors 604

If I understand iDisplay correctly, then you shouldn't have to write any programs at all.

iDisplay turns the iPad into a second monitor for a Mac. That means it already displays things that are running on the Mac [1]. Any program that's running on the Mac simply sees the iPad as a second monitor.

So download any one of the many launchers that already exist for the Mac, and move it onto the second monitor, er, I mean onto the iPad display. Configure as desired, and launch away.

To find launchers, google Mac launcher. Here's an example:
    http://smokingapples.com/software/reviews/9-lauchers-to-put-your-mac-at-your-fingertips/
    Launchbar, QuickSilver, Butler, etc

[1] It apparently works by running a VNC server on the Mac, and making a virtual second screen rather than serving the main screen. The iPad is then mainly just a VNC client.

3. random47 thread starter macrumors member

yes of cause i did not consider that. the software already exists, so it should be easy. I will post a demo later.